Best Walkaround lenses?

LadyCloudDancer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello! Being new to the DSLR world, (and about as green as they come), I would like input on which lenses others consider to be the best all around, multi-purpose mid-range walkaround len (in my case, for a Nikon D90). I've been considering the Nikon 18-105VR, with ample supply on eBay, but have read, even though it is average to just slightly above-average, it just doesn't "pop" like some of those with a lesser range at the high end, however this is about the focal range I would like to stay around (and unfortunately don't have quite the budget yet for those 2.8's just yet!). I would appreciate all of your inputs!

If you already have the 18-105 thats a good starter kit lens, but in the future if youre willing to spend a little more get the 24-70 f2.8.

Edit:

What exactly is your budget?

I have not yet purchased the 18-105VR, that seemed to be the best choice in terms of focal length, but the reviews don't seem to be unanimous. My budget is pretty tight since I just purchased the D90 with the 70-300, so I'm looking for an inexpensive general purpose lens, mostly just to start getting used to the D90 without carrying around the 70-300 (and for a trip to Disney coming up in a couple of weeks).

For family portraits Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G DX around $250 or the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 which is about $530. Or if your on a really tight budget Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 for about $170.

Go for 35 f/1.8 AF-S or 50 f/1.8 AF D.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

I do have the 50mm 1.8 already - great lens, and I would like to find that quality in a multi-focal zoom. I would like something versatile as opposed to just a fixed for the time being, especially for our Florida vacation (I really don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses for this trip!)

Tamron 17-50 f2.8

I would even look at the 18-55VR ... it is under rated, has VR, is cheap, and gives you a decent range for a regular use lens ... and you can sell it off later when you 'upgrade' in onr form or another ...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
From what I've read your "master of none" comment is pretty much right on. Do you find that the 85mm is enough reach for every day use, as opposed to the 18-105? (I have the 50mm 1.8, so I'm really just looking for a vacation lens with quite a bit of range, so that I dont have to carry the larger lens, or an assortment)

I did the DW trip carrying around my D90 with 18-200mm lens all day, every day, for a week. It sucked. It's not as heavy as dragging around some of the bigger lenses, but it was heavy and bulky enough that I would never do it again. I understand the desire to bring the D90 to DW. I get it. But when we go back to DW this May, I may just bring my 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8 (suggested above) because they are much lighter, smaller, and faster.

Most 'walkaround' lenses are jack-of-all-trades, master-of-none lenses.

For everyday carry I usually had a 24-85 mm f/2.8-4 lens on the camera, and the lens also had a 1:2 macro capability from 35 mm to 85 mm so I could do closeups if needed.

Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

A 24-85 is not a useful walkround zoom lens in my opinion on a DX camera at all. 24mm on a crop camera is equiv to 36mm, which means the 24-85 can not do proper wide angle shots on a DX camera.

You would be much better served with a 18-55 VR over a 24-85. The 18-105 is a good lens from all accounts, the best walkaround zoom for DX is the 16-85 VR IMO, it has a great wide angle to mild telephoto range.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you already have the 18-105 thats a good starter kit lens, but in the future if youre willing to spend a little more get the 24-70 f2.8.

Edit:

What exactly is your budget?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^That one is the one I walk around with unless its an outdoor portrait shoot, then I'm using 70-200 VRII

I would go for the 17-55 over the 24-70 on d90. I like wide more than tele and 24 definitely does not cut it, having said that the 24 is one of the sharper nikon lenses. I would pick up a 35 1.8 as my all time fav walk around lens, along with a 10-24.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back