Best Walkaround lenses?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by LadyCloudDancer, Mar 20, 2012.

1. LadyCloudDancer

LadyCloudDancer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello! Being new to the DSLR world, (and about as green as they come), I would like input on which lenses others consider to be the best all around, multi-purpose mid-range walkaround len (in my case, for a Nikon D90). I've been considering the Nikon 18-105VR, with ample supply on eBay, but have read, even though it is average to just slightly above-average, it just doesn't "pop" like some of those with a lesser range at the high end, however this is about the focal range I would like to stay around (and unfortunately don't have quite the budget yet for those 2.8's just yet!). I would appreciate all of your inputs!

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you already have the 18-105 thats a good starter kit lens, but in the future if youre willing to spend a little more get the 24-70 f2.8.

Edit:

What exactly is your budget?

3. LadyCloudDancer

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have not yet purchased the 18-105VR, that seemed to be the best choice in terms of focal length, but the reviews don't seem to be unanimous. My budget is pretty tight since I just purchased the D90 with the 70-300, so I'm looking for an inexpensive general purpose lens, mostly just to start getting used to the D90 without carrying around the 70-300 (and for a trip to Disney coming up in a couple of weeks).

4. DorkSterr

DorkSterr No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    For family portraits Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 G DX around $250 or the Nikon AF-S 50mm f/1.8 which is about $530. Or if your on a really tight budget Nikon AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 for about $170.

5. trizzo

trizzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go for 35 f/1.8 AF-S or 50 f/1.8 AF D.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-2

6. LadyCloudDancer

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I do have the 50mm 1.8 already - great lens, and I would like to find that quality in a multi-focal zoom. I would like something versatile as opposed to just a fixed for the time being, especially for our Florida vacation (I really don't want to lug around a bunch of lenses for this trip!)

7. DiskoJoe

DiskoJoe Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8

8. rkt

rkt TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would even look at the 18-55VR ... it is under rated, has VR, is cheap, and gives you a decent range for a regular use lens ... and you can sell it off later when you 'upgrade' in onr form or another ...

9. KmH

KmH In memoriam Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  10. LadyCloudDancer

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I've read your "master of none" comment is pretty much right on. Do you find that the 85mm is enough reach for every day use, as opposed to the 18-105? (I have the 50mm 1.8, so I'm really just looking for a vacation lens with quite a bit of range, so that I dont have to carry the larger lens, or an assortment)

11. jwbryson1

jwbryson1 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I did the DW trip carrying around my D90 with 18-200mm lens all day, every day, for a week. It sucked. It's not as heavy as dragging around some of the bigger lenses, but it was heavy and bulky enough that I would never do it again. I understand the desire to bring the D90 to DW. I get it. But when we go back to DW this May, I may just bring my 50mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/1.8 (suggested above) because they are much lighter, smaller, and faster.

12. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

A 24-85 is not a useful walkround zoom lens in my opinion on a DX camera at all. 24mm on a crop camera is equiv to 36mm, which means the 24-85 can not do proper wide angle shots on a DX camera.

You would be much better served with a 18-55 VR over a 24-85. The 18-105 is a good lens from all accounts, the best walkaround zoom for DX is the 16-85 VR IMO, it has a great wide angle to mild telephoto range.