What's new

Best white balance for night shots in the city?

padrepaul77

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
155
Reaction score
2
Location
Twin Cities, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi gang,

I use a Canon Powershot sx10 IS. I shot a picture of downtown Minneapolis once last winter, and it was nice, save for the slightly green apperance of the lights off of the ice in the river. I did not toy with the white balance, so I'm wondering if I should have set it for "fluorescent"? There is also a "fluorescent h" setting (I'm guessing that means "high"). Does this compensate then for the fluorescent lighting that is in some streetlights?

Thanks,
Paul
 
What it does is add magenta to the image (relative to daylight). This compensates for the green hue found in many fluorescent lights. While this will also give the rest of the image a magenta tint, it is usually preferable to the puke green lights of the city.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom