TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Comments and critique please.
BethanyTest2B&WforWEB.jpg

The expression is a little odd?

"I'm putting up with this, but I'm down to my last nerve and you're on it!" :lol: See that one plenty of times. I quite the like the exposure and conversion. It's a little high in the mid-tones, but I think for this image, the softer, less contrasty look works well. My only real nit is that you've butchered her left arm. Cropping limbs is fine if it must be done, but do it boldly, and never at/near a joint, and NEVER longitudinally.

I would crop this to a "tall". Her expression is enigmatic. I think I would try to very subtly burn down the brightest area behind her head, the one at 1 o'clock. It is an interesting expression. her lips and eyes seem to show a tension that is fascinating to look at.

Thanks for the comments and critique, I agree with all of them so I made a quick edit. We will work on her expression in our next session. She was nervous about posing and trying very hard not to laugh.

BethanyTest1B&W3web2.jpg

Attachments

• BethanyTest1B&W3web2.jpg
    BethanyTest1B&W3web2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 112
"I'm putting up with this, but I'm down to my last nerve and you're on it!" :lol: See that one plenty of times. I quite the like the exposure and conversion. It's a little high in the mid-tones, but I think for this image, the softer, less contrasty look works well. My only real nit is that you've butchered her left arm. Cropping limbs is fine if it must be done, but do it boldly, and never at/near a joint, and NEVER longitudinally.

Okay, I agree with what has been said here and the others above.

Now, even though this will make John's last nerve shorter, I would like to offer my solution to help the expression. Maybe having her separate the lips ever so slightly would change the look just enough for me.

I do like the crop you did in the second one.

PS. If she was wanting to laugh and it was a natural laugh let her, that has potential for some great shots and will put her at ease with the session.

I love when working with models and they bust out a laugh after trying to hold a serious pose. You get some amazingly natural smiles. Might not be the intention of the shoot, but I capture them anyway.

I love when working with models and they bust out a laugh after trying to hold a serious pose. You get some amazingly natural smiles. Might not be the intention of the shoot, but I capture them anyway.
This!!! In fact one of the things I do with models, especially female models, is tell them not to smile, and try and force them into a silly pose and expression, all the while admonishing them for smiling. That usually lasts about 2-3 minutes and they burst into laughter and THEN we get the great shots!

I got to spend a couple of hours with Bethany and I shot a few candid pics of her getting over the giggles and making adjustments. She liked this one the most of anything we did. She had just adjusted the hat.

BethanyTest2B&Wweb.jpg

Facial expression much much better.

Left arm and shoulder are too bright, maybe burned out. Clone the little blemish also on her left arm at the bottom.

Like the look with the hat. Works for me.

Oh, I'm not bothered by it here, but I guess watch the looking up the nose pose.

Most reactions

Back