Bi-Weekly assignments.

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by monkeykoder, Jan 15, 2008.

1. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Add in something like "Remember no archived images"

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Given the number of times old assignments seem to get resurrected, maybe a date range in the title might be a good idea e.g.
    • 1 to 15 Jan 2008 - Technical Assignment #2: "Shallow Depth of Field"
    You'd hope that people would realise that it's an old thread, and not post just because someone has bumped it from beyond the grave.

3. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I remember correctly they where supposed to be on going and unending, but I had been considering tossing the idea of a deadline out here, this would also open up the availibility of reusing ideas when the well dries so to speak.

4. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You might be right about the unending bit, but in my mind the whole point of an assignment is that it has a deadline by which to achieve something. Doesn't that add something to the challenge? More so for anyone who would like to take this beyond a hobby.

5. Battou

Battou TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree

6. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with this assessment. Also, I have no wish to change the header for the TPF contests or potentially muddy that forum with other member activities. It's important to keep forum objectives very clear - as folks still do tend to post certain things in a haphazard fashion, despite clear forum descriptions.

I really appreciate seeing everyone's interest in the assignments forum. To that end, we don't particularly have a problem with moving it to a more visible location to encourage participation. However, we do want to stress, prior to making any moves, that this forum is expected to remain completely member-driven. There should be very little need for intervention from the moderators. Any polls, discussion, planning, should take place in a thread just for those purposes. Ongoing ideas for assignments should continue to be placed in the thread Corry created some time back.

Additionally, as this is to be member-driven, please review the FAQ's Corry originally put forth and feel free to discuss and modify as you choose. Cleaning up the place and keeping things updated is an ongoing task, and your input is always welcome.

7. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You're quite right a firm deadline would probably add to the fun of completing the assignment.

8. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Heck if you could find the right people to run it (probably not going to happen but I'm a dreamer) you could get people running Beginner Intermediate and Advanced assignments.

9. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    We really do need to make it a point no just to post images in there but discuss the images that are posted. An assignment is no good if it doesn't lead to better images later. Should we start a thread in the Bi-Weekly assignment forum to discuss this?

10. (Ghastly) Krueger

(Ghastly) Krueger TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I also like the idea of the BWA.

We can give it some publicity in our sigs... like this:

11. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That my friend is a great idea. I still believe we should bring it to the front but even then it does need some publicity. Having it's own little assignments area (one for technical assignments one for subject/art assignments and maybe a discussion forum if that is okay) would just sweeten the pot. Because really what good are the assignments if we never discuss how to make the assigned pictures better isn't that the whole point? Aren't we trying to make better photographers? We might not need a discussion forum to do that but I could see so many uses for it you could discuss all the suggestions and what time of year would be best to do them, you could discuss how to get a specific effect for those not quite familiar with it, you could even discuss what kinds of subject matter would work best for the different technical assignments (for those that see the concept but have a hard time visualizing it. Yeah I'm kinda getting into this idea :) Time to go add that to my sig :D

12. timd346

timd346 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

instead of having it as a sub forum why not put it as a regular forum right next to the monthly forum