Big Camera Problem. Help!

It's almost certainly the mirror if they all turned out the same, as sticky shutter leaf stickyness is usually variable. I'd say that it's very likely something - probably a bit of foam damping - is fouling the mirror on it's way up.

I'd suggest the following:

Change the batteries and gently clean their contacts, whenever you have a problem, do this first as this eliminates a whole bunch of potential problems.

Fire the camera pointed at you (not loaded) with no lens on the front. Look at the mirror action. Look for any loose black foam or gunk on the sides of the mirror tunnel. Set the exposure to 1s manually if possible to give you some time to look at it. Don't put your finger in there whilst the shutter is tripped.

This will confirm that it's the mirror - the mirror should travel from 45deg to 90deg so quickly that it's almost impossible to see it move. If it doesn't go completely up flush, then there's a problem.

Another common problem is the the mirror glue has loosened and has sunk down to the point where it fouls on the lens or the tunnel front, but this generally gives a 80% image and you've got much less than that.

Have another go, and come back and we can probably help further.

Be careful removing foam gunk as it's glued on one side and you don't want to smear that glue over the mirror or shutter mechanisms. If in doubt, clear obstructions very gently with tweezers, or just give up and try and get your money back!

Good luck! Cameras aren't that bad, so it probably won't be anything too fatal.

Rob

As an aside: I've purchased at least 6 cameras through eBay. All have functioned perfectly. There are many honest sellers out there.

I think the nail has been hit on the head... I believe that Minoltas like most others have horizontal plane shutter curtains. This is obviously moving (or NOT moving). in the Vertical plane. So a stuck mirror is the first suspect.
The vendor on ebay should be liable if you contact them first, and if joyless later on contact e-bay. I always like to think that in the first instance it is a genuine mistake. Contact them and see what they say.
The local camera shop should be able to sort you out though as long as you don't mind paying them for it...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back