Big cars Big Boobs and Intellectuals

hmm - I'm not sure why this thread was started in the Articles of Interest forum, but I've moved it to a new home. :)

I didn't do it with menace and it did have a different title to start with but I would add that the articles of interest and the beginners forum get the most traffic as far as i can see so it was going to be one of those as I wanted an answer.

BananaRepublic said:
Why is it that when I post things here and this is especially true in the case where I'm looking for advise or critique do I get loads of views but very little actual advise. To be fair its not just me, or thats what I tell myself, others have the same problem its great to get 20 million views but only getting 4 comments is aggravating.

As far as critique goes...the culture at TPF has changed over the last two years or so, from being a place with about fifteen active people who would offer C&C on almost every photo, down to a site that has maybe four or five people who will consistently and frequently offer C&C. The rank and file people who used to offer C&C, often with the caveat, "but I'm a beginner, so take my C&C with a grain of salt," type of disclaimer. I personally think that ANYBODY should feel free to say what he or she thinks about a topic, a picture, a set of pictures, a series, whatever; all opinions should be welcome in a place like this. Getting C&C from newbs,beginning level, intermediate, advanced, old hand level people--it's ALL good.

What's toughest I think is responding to either your friends, or to the top dogs...every once in a while they will post something just outrageously stupid, or maybe even pretty bad. What to do then? TPF has become more politically correct, and few people are willing to offend now--which is different from how it used to be. People are less-willing to talk about pictures, and how to make them. More people seem to reserve saying anything, for fear of offending or hurting feelings.

More people want atta-boy! type approval, and post one or two times, looking for congrats and advice, then they disappear. If they get honest C&C that offends, they may flare out of control.

Another thing...over the last couple of years TPF has grown smaller, more club-like, less of a downtown shopping mall, and more of a KOA campground...you're only doing about one post every two days...not gonna see as many replies with that level of visibility as for people who are more well-known and well, more popular.

This might all be nonsense--I am only HALFWAY through Coffee Cup Number One for today.So, brain is only maybe in 2nd gear (and it's a 5-speed...).

Last edited:
hmm - I'm not sure why this thread was started in the Articles of Interest forum, but I've moved it to a new home. :)

I didn't do it with menace and it did have a different title to start with but I would add that the articles of interest and the beginners forum get the most traffic as far as i can see so it was going to be one of those as I wanted an answer.
I think you covered getting an answer with your thread title! :tongue-44:

No biggie, but as I roam around the forum if I see something that looks like it was inadvertently posted in the wrong forum, it's my job to move it. Believe me, lots of folks scroll through the Photo Discussion forum as they ponder things, so it's a good place for this one, too. :)

I have just become so good that I don't need critiques and giving them is so far beneath me I can't be bothered.

I'll be totally be honest...I opened this thread hoping for some sharp, clear, well-lighted, off-camera flash photos (at least six of them) with the subject being some Hooters restaurant waitresses...maybe posing in the parking lot with a gorgeous Italian supercar, and of course, some discussion and an artist's statement framed in a big serving of intellectual pseudo-bullspit about ,"Photos that examine the interplay between the erotic, the mundane, and the cheeseburger culture of the early twenty-first century,"or somesuch nonsense...

But did your thread deliver? Were there any boobs? Was there any Italian supercar sheet metal and fine paintwork? Were there any sexy rims and low-profile tires? Were there any hot, intellectual babes? We got exactly NONE of that! *

Big. Fat. Missfire.

*[terri's brief appearance may qualify as intellectual babe appearance in some states. Consult local laws.]

Were there any hot, intellectual babes? We got exactly NONE of that! *

Big. Fat. Missfire.

*[terri's brief appearance may qualify as intellectual babe appearance in some states. Consult local laws.]

...ahem...

:biglaugh:

Why is it that when I post things here and this is especially true in the case where I'm looking for advise or critique do I get loads of views but very little actual advise. To be fair its not just me, or thats what I tell myself, others have the same problem its great to get 20 million views but only getting 4 comments is aggravating.
There are some posts than languish with no C&C for a while and then I decide to comment to get it going. Other one's I'll comment then if no expert engages I'll email one of them .. had to do that recently too.

Giving C&C and reading C&C helps me improve my abilities too, I think.

I'll be totally be honest...I opened this thread hoping for some sharp, clear, well-lighted, off-camera flash photos (at least six of them) with the subject being some Hooters restaurant waitresses...maybe posing in the parking lot with a gorgeous Italian supercar, and of course, some discussion and an artist's statement framed in a big serving of intellectual pseudo-bullspit about ,"Photos that examine the interplay between the erotic, the mundane, and the cheeseburger culture of the early twenty-first century,"or somesuch nonsense...

But did your thread deliver? Were there any boobs? Was there any Italian supercar sheet metal and fine paintwork? Were there any sexy rims and low-profile tires? Were there any hot, intellectual babes? We got exactly NONE of that! *

Big. Fat. Missfire.

Just wait a while Derrel the boobs will be showing up soon.

Ok, well on the C&C thing, if I don' t have something constructive or helpful to offer, I usually don't offer it. I tend to stick with the stuff I'm more familiar shooting myself, so it would be more rare that you'll see me comment on a person's portrait, landscape or street style photography since that isn't what I normally shoot.

I tend to stick with the stuff I'm more familiar shooting myself, so it would be more rare that you'll see me comment on a person's portrait, landscape or street style photography since that isn't what I normally shoot.

Same with me. A lot of times I wonder if people critique and comment because they just want to say something, without any experience in that particular area.

I've moderated quite a few forums and have belonged to hundreds.

I have come to realize that there are multiple reasons people will not post in a thread that is asking for help/advice.

The Noob (guys like me here)
The noob is relatively new to the forum and the sport/activity it is based on. The noob is initially here to learn and understands (thinks) that they have nothing to contribute or they are not confident in their knowledge.

The Veteran.
The veteran has answered the same questions day in and day out for quite some time and has begun to get tired. They begin to limit the number and type of questions that they will put their energy towards.

The Lurker.
The Lurker only come to view. They may or may not have an account. The lurker could be someone that is interested in said activity but only wants to learn, not become a part of the community.

The Window Shopper.
The window shopper just likes to look at pretty pictures and has no intent at becoming involved in the activity but likes to look.

Now take those that don't fall into the above. Do they view the entire forum or do they have a sub interest inside the forum that they focus on?

Perceived history of the member posting can also influence who may answer. I post mostly birds in flight. (I know I haven't been around long enough to have a reputation accept for being SEXY lol) Therefore I wouldn't expect people that love street photography to comment or CC my pics much (still appreciated if they do).

Now throw on top of this is the forum design. Most have a "New Posts/Active Topics" feature to make it easier to find the latest posts. Seems like that would help get every thread answered. Not always since if a post isn't on the first page when someone selects the feature, the post will have less of a chance of being viewed let alone answered.

I could write an essay (or finish this one) but the short answer is that TPF is no different than other forums on the view/replies. It is all percentages. Some forums you may not notice it due to the larger membership.

Now I'll shut up.

Last edited:
Periodically someone complains about the lack of feedback, but it seems to be inherent in any group, for all of the reasons stated and probably others as well. I make an effort to offer useful comments on some photos, usually avoiding things far from what I do, and photos that are so bad I really don't know where to begin. For photos that are very good, but for which I don't have any useful comments, I usually post a "like" or a quick word. All of us who post on here just do it and take our chances - the forum doesn't owe us anything.

Big. Fat. Missfire.

Plenty of boobys here blue footed booby - Google Search

I tend to stick with the stuff I'm more familiar shooting myself, so it would be more rare that you'll see me comment on a person's portrait, landscape or street style photography since that isn't what I normally shoot.

Same with me. A lot of times I wonder if people critique and comment because they just want to say something, without any experience in that particular area.

Well I just assume that if anyone asks for advice on portrait photography and clicks on my flickr link they are going to realize pretty quick, hey, there are no people portraits here.. lol

by the way, was the title of this thread changed from it's initial posting.
I recall reading it right after it was posted and not replying ... LOL

Most reactions

Back