Big Magic- Creative living beyond fear

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am about 3/4 of the way through the book "Big Magic" by Elizabeth Gilbert. While I don't agree with everything she has to share, I have quite enjoyed many of the concepts she brings up! Have you read it? I am finding it to be quite light, but also inspiring and a gentle guide to assist in removing myself from a creative rut.

The first thing I found fascinatingly funny was her notation that

"The earliest evidence of recognizable human art is forty thousand years old. The earliest evidence of human agriculture, by contrast, is only ten thousand years old. Which means that somewhere in our collective evolutionary story, we decided it was way more important to make attractive, superfluous items than it was to learn how to regularly feed ourselves" This made me both laugh, and start to appreciate that perhaps wanting things to look nice in addition to being functional, is inherent to my soul and not just me being incredibly quirky.

In the book she urges readers to create for the sake of creating, not because we are determined to produce a master piece, not because we want to win a national award, or because we want to make a living off our art. But to do so simply to experience the joy and time warp that seems to be intrinsically connected to the process of creating. Her idea is that masterpieces come from the heart, and not from intentionally trying to create one.

She discusses the idea that the perfection we often seek in our art work prohibits us from trying new things and opening ourselves up to the endless possibilities of the creative process, for fear that we may not be "good enough" "Done is better than good" - she mentions.

My favorite idea in the most recent chapter was that we should be "having an affair with our creativity"
To make time for it every day, even if that means you have to sneak away and hide an empty hallway for 15 minuets. That we should fully immerse ourselves in every moment we spend with our creativity- even if we can only "make out" with it for a brief but intense 5 minuet fleeting moment. Because you love it. Because you enjoy spending time with it. No more, and no less.

Anyways, Just thought I would share for anyone who might be interested in the topic!

The book is admittedly "new age-y" But what can I say. Thats my cup of tea!

You might enjoy reading "Art & Fear: Observations On the Perils (and Rewards) of Artmaking," by David Bayles and Ted Orland. It's a short exploration of how we approach our own art making, and is a nifty little read. Not new-agey at all (not that there's anything wrong with that). A few of the ideas you just mentioned in your current read are touched on in this book, too. :)

Two more books for the wishy listy. I really need to make time, even 15 minutes, each day for art of some kind.

If some "thing" is important to you, you will make time for that "thing", whatever it might happen to be. Making photographic art, or just taking pictures, or clicking off snapshots...I view those activities as being part of a continuum. I like the author's making out concept!

At times, I can feel the urge to exercise creativity when I am behind the lens,and it feels like flying by the seat of my pants. Other times, photographing feels more like flying on autopilot, and I have confidence that I will arrive at my destination without a lot of consciously-applied intervention or involvement in the process.

I wholeheartedly approve of books and articles like the one you've brought up here; anything that makes people think abut their creative process is a good thing.

Most reactions

Back