BIG TIME NOOB QUESTION ON APErTURE

Budlimbs77

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
so i have been goin through the tutorials and playing with my camera and trying to get a feel for it. I want to try some shots adjusting the aperture. It always appears as f5.6

Exactly how do i adjust it or is it self adjusting??:(
Is there a thread I can look up in the tutorials that i missed...

I am using a canon rebel xti with a ef-s 17-85mm lens.

thanks for all the help

It's not in any of the menus? Or maybe a letter "A" on your dial? I'm not familiar with the Canon but that's how my Nikon is.

The aperture can be manualy controled in both AV mode (aperture priority mode) and M mode (manual mode). In manual mode though you do need to hold down a button in orde that the wheel changes the aperture setting (otherwise it changes the shutter speed setting). Check your manual (if you don't have one there is a copy on the canon website) for which button you have to hold down to allow you to do this as well as other advice for working in the different shooting modes.

Also the P (program) mode will also allow you limited control over aperture and shutter speed by the form of giving you a series of metered apertures and shutter speeds - each of which will give a correct exposure but the different selections allow you a level of creative control over the image (unles the other auto shooting modes where the camera makes full choice of the settings).

I have actually been tempted by the new canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L (mark 2 ) which has a reduced minimum focusing distance (more magnification) but sadly its new price is more than double the current 70-200mm f2.8 IS ! So nope not selling that lens yet ;)

Most reactions

Back