Bigger Flip-it! is released!

Green Li

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Joe Demb has released a bigger version of the popular Flip-it! diffuser.

Here is a quick preview: Demb Mega Flip-it! Kit.

It's a modular system that comes with two large reflectors. The intended use is the main portrait light.

demb-mega-flip-it-kit-release-mega-reflector.jpg

DIY reflectors can be attached also.

I wonder how much this costs? Mine cost me about $1.20 total, and 15 minutes of work:

3568424906_a96d49bd83.jpg

The smaller one costs me about a dollar to make and 10 minutes time:

3553874174_a892ebbfa2.jpg

Edit: Yikes, they want $45 + shipping for this?? Someone needs to be arrested for rape!

It looks like 2 pieces of foamies cut to size and sewed together. Add a Velcro strap and you are done.

Look here. http://abetterbouncecard.com/

lol... sorry, it was so easy, I just assumed poeple would figure it out like I did!

2 pieces of 8.5X11 foam core, white and black. 10-12 inches of velcro. 6 cuts with an exacto knife and scissors to trim/round off the top. Staples work well to hold it all together, or if you have a sewing machine use that.

My next revision will cost about 50 cents more and include a plastic mesh for more firmness. I plan to make 1-2 more and when I do, this time I will either capture the process by video or pictures.

It really is easy to do!! :D

I made myself one of those too...it worked well but wasn't durable or very pretty.

THESE are similar but much better.

Hey Mike,

Do you use the normal or super scoop? Any way you can post some before and after pics with it?

I've been using the super scoop...bigger is better (softer) after all. I don't have any before & after shots handy...but I'll try to look for some...or just shoot new ones.

Thanks. I would love to see them.

I have been using the Lumiquest pocket bouncer and just recently added the 80/20 promax system. So far, I am very happy with them. Just interested in how this scoop looks in a shot.

I've got the 80/20 Promax and the Demb Flip-It Pro as well. They both work well but I prefer the Demb because it easily folds back and out of the way, which makes it easy to keep on the flash/camera while on the go.

I made myself one of those too...it worked well but wasn't durable or very pretty.

THESE are similar but much better.

Those are "
$49.95 USD plus $8.00 S&H worldwide" which I still find ridiculous for what they are. Durability is not important when you can have more than 24 of them made for the price of one of these... lol Prettier? Replace the staples with white thread sewn in with a sewing machine and that solves that issue.

I do know what they have that mine do not, and that is a plastic shaper in between the 2 layers and they are bonded together not stapled.

One thing made me chuckle a little:
"The LITE-SCOOP even improves the lighting when shooting through an umbrella or scrim, creating a larger and softer light source for individual and group portraits."

In reality, all you are doing is needing to pump up the power 2-3 stops and work the flash harder and using more power and NOT really adding anymore softness to the shot in real life. Well, that and the US pricing for a company out of Vancouver... not cool.

I've already bought something that will make my design stiffer (a thin plastic mesh shaped to the dimensions and curves I want. Even though there is no real reason to do this, as they never bend or change shape on their own, and I do not use the large one when on camera, I use a smaller one or the integrated bounce card when forced to use on camera flash at all... lol.

The bigger bounce cards are flash mounted when the flashes are on lightstands so looks are even less important of an issue. I can also bond my 2 layers together with Spra-Tac, therefore not needing staples, and I can finish off the edges with white thread sewn on using a sewing machine if needed, for a completed look. Still cannot cost me more than $3 total to make, if that.

The one thing that I do not like is that the ones shown on the link with the umbrella are way over curled at the top... I tried this in my tests and all that did was waste a little light firing it downward, ... totally the wrong direction from what I wanted, which is firing forward. The size of their largest one is the same size as mine, both made from 8.5 X 11 inch foam core sheets.

When I have the time, I'll need to come out with version III... lol.

Last edited:
I've used a simple sheet of foam, I've used one with a plastic inner frame and I've used this one with the metal frame...I like the bendable metal frame best. Of course it's not the perfect flash accessory, there is no such thing.

Can't blame the guy for trying to be the next Gary Fong :lol:

Most reactions

Back