Bigger Flip-it! is released!

I stopped by the craft store on the way home and picked up some supplies. I lof DIY stuff and plan on making one of these tonight for fun. I am going to use some mesh material in between the 2 layers fo foam paper to give it the ability to be molded to shape. I will let you guys know how it goes and will try to blog it on my lame blog site. :) I swear, I try to blog about photography, but I am not very good at it. :)

Hi guys,

I made one of these tonight. I will post the full build process and more pics later. However, I am impressed with the results of my first version and have a few changes for version 2.

I used:
1 white sticky back foam sheet (9x12)
1 black sticky back foam sheet (9x12)
Small piece of velcro to fasten it to my flash
WireForm mesh (modeling mesh) from the craft store.

I placed the wire form mesh between the 2 foamy sheets and used their sticky backs to stick them together with the mesh inside. It works well. I may try a 2nd layer of mesh on round 2 to get even more stability and customization.

Here's the pics of it.
586879509_nXHAB-S.jpg
586878568_6soyF-S.jpg

Here's a shot with my 40D and built in flash.
586877205_wdgYf-S.jpg

40D with 580EXII and StoFen Omnibounce pointing straight up to the ceiling.
586878114_DRQLU-S.jpg

And my light scoop on the 580EXII.
586878330_NCTfo-S.jpg

Thoughts?

PS> Sorry about the watermarks. I did not remember to remove them from the Smugmug import and it was late so I posted them as is.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention. If all goes well. I am going to get some pics of the build process on version 2 tonight. I will make another thread so people can search for it later if they look for ssomething like this.

I'm digging it. Actually, I like the lighting of that shot with your light scoop better than with the StoFen. And hey, put some velcro on the black side of that guy and you have a gobo! Nice. :) (I suppose two together would make a decent enough snoot two, in a pinch; making it light-tight might be a little tricksy, methinks...hmm...)

Here are the (close to anyway) original instructions for the DIY reflector-diffuser.. DIY Reflector-Diffuser

It has the nylon stitching grid and adjustable top for putting more light on the subject if you need the power.

One thing though, there is a clear nylon thread that looks MUCH better than the black if you are going to sew the two sheets together. I found that the best way is to use a spray on adhesive as it adds stiffness but is still fairly pliable.

Very cool. I had not seen this, but was using relatively the smae materials. I may try one of these. I did a version this weekend and used 2 sheets of wire mesh. I am still playing around with it.

Have been playing with Mega Flip-it! for a while...

Here is a detailed review: Mega Flip-it! review

Like the new attachment:
demb-mega-flip-it-kit-flash-reflector-10.jpg
demb-mega-flip-it-kit-flash-reflector-6.jpg

Also made a 8"x12" card out of a mat board:
demb-mega-flip-it-kit-flash-reflector-20.jpg
demb-mega-flip-it-kit-flash-reflector-22.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back