Biking C&C

yoballer914

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I’m looking forward to general C&C but I also have some specific questions.

In regards to the framing, which is preferred the rider in the left most third of the frame or the right most? (Photo 2 vs. Photo 4)

Some of these seem over exposed (Photo 4, 3) and others less so (Photo 1) any tips on catching these mistakes sooner rather then later?

Lastly, how does the blur photo 4 (Very blurry background less blurry rider) compare with photo 3 (Sharper rider slightly blurred background)?

All comments welcome, my goal was to capture the speed of the rider and angle of the slope.

Thanks in advance!

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/yoballer914/CC 1/DSC_0388.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/yoballer914/CC 1/DSC_0349.jpg

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af353/yoballer914/CC%201/DSC_0350.jpg

Last edited:
Man, I miss downhill. Your freind has a nice santa cruz too :D

As for C&C on TPF, people dont like to follow links if you want more posts please post your pictures directly.

As for C&C on TPF, people dont like to follow links if you want more posts please post your pictures directly.

Hey man whats wrong with my Kona?! only kidding, his setup is sweet! Yeah i will post directly in the future posting links is as painful as following them

Hey man whats wrong with my Kona?! only kidding, his setup is sweet! Yeah i will post directly in the future posting links is as painful as following them

Haha, yeah post them up. Kona's are sweet too. Before I quit DH I wanted a stinky.

Hello. Am a noob myself but will offer up my CC :p
To prevent under- or over-exposure look at your camera's metering - it's usually about right. Change the metering mode to Partial or Spot in this situation since with evaluative (which I assume you're using :p) tries to get everything in the frame perfectly exposed, which means the very bright sky has to be compensated for, and thus the underexposed #1.

#2 has lead room (space in front of where the subject is going) and follows ROT which are conventionally what A Good Photo "should" have. But I like #3 more since it's canted (tilted), and combined with the lack of lead room create more tension and motion, though one might argue the space to the left serves no purpose (dead space). I like #4 the best though cause it seems like it's about to fall out of the picture (tension!) and the motion blur adds motion (duh) as well.

Ummm well generally, you should do things to make them obvious that they were intentional. #3's blur was too little; it didn't eliminate the distractions the background and foreground bring, and it seemed as if it's an accidental blur. #4 was better, but the subject itself is blurred as well. Mind I ask if this was done in post processing or did you do a cool trick with the camera? :)

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the feedback! The intention in all the photos was to as you said eliminate the distractions, capture the speed with the blurring while staying focused on the rider. All of the blurring was done by panning (nothing processed) yet i couldn't quite get the right balance of a subject sharp, background blurred. Any suggestions?

Most reactions

Back