Bird Deicing

PixelRabbit

A naughty little bunny...
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok this ranks up there with one of the oddest things I've seen a bird doing lol

I was shooting them pretty early in the morning just after I put the seed out for them. They often get drops of water off of icicles and eat snow etc... I saw this guy "nibbling" on some ice and as I shot I realized it wasn't on the branch, it was on his toe! I'm pretty sure he just woke up and it formed overnight. He chewed on it a couple times but didn't break it off, it was still there when he flew off.

I'll add that to the list of things I have never seen but would like to :D

Thanks guys :)

Brian, it's a Junco.

Thanks. The yellow belly fooled me.

Yeah I think it's a smidge warm from the sunrise but there is white so I'm guessing perhaps it's possibly female and also winter plumage? We have a large stand of cedars and most of the critters that eat the seeds tend to have a very subtle rusty tint to them too.

Yeah. It seems birds can vary in colour from climate, geographical location, diet or almost anything really.

He/she looks properly pissed off. I'd be too if my toes got icicles growing on them. You have a good eye, Judi, to have spotted that!

I like it.

Anthony

Nice capture, but I feel so sorry for the poor little thing.

I've only ever seen, in person, a few little ice drops on a wing, but I just saw a picture recently that someone posted (not on TPF) from around here somewhere this winter. Their poor little bird actually had a fairly decent size icicle hanging from their tail! It was pretty humorous looking, but I do feel bad for the poor cold birdies.

Thanks all :)

Sharon, I often marvel, especially on days that it's -30 at the little birds and their tiny bodies and feet and that they don't freeze solid!

Most reactions

Back