Birders are odd

At least those who only want to LOOK at birds are following the law. PHOTOGRAPHING birds has been a federal crime since Sept. 12, 2001, since birds are vital to national security. Taking photographs of the US's Avian Infrastucture can land you in Guantanamo for an undetermined timeframe. Even having a camera in your hand whilst near a bird can set you back $125,000 in legal costs.

At least those who only want to LOOK at birds are following the law. PHOTOGRAPHING birds has been a federal crime since Sept. 12, 2001, since birds are vital to national security. Taking photographs of the US's Avian Infrastucture can land you in Guantanamo for an undetermined timeframe. Even having a camera in your hand whilst near a bird can set you back $125,000 in legal costs.

I once punched a Canadian Goose that was trying to land in America and I got a medal from the Mayor.

There are Birders (those that seek/identify/count birds), then there are Birders who photograph (those that seek/identify/count/photographically catalogue birds), there are Photographers that take pictures of birds (those that seek to take great images of birds), and finally there are people with cameras that like taking pictures of things like birds.

1081.gif

Can you explain your reply ?

I once punched a Canadian Goose that was trying to land in America and I got a medal from the Mayor.

Next time, try punching a Canada Goose.

Bird photgraphers though - sheesh. What a substandard class of human those poor wretches are. Yikes.

Oh wait, was that outloud? Lol

I've been called worse :geek:

Me too, though not as often now that my kids are out of the house.. lol

I'm an engineer so there will always be insults available for the taking :greenpbl:

You know that old saying, "Those that can, do. Those that can't, coach. And those who just don't give a &^%#, engineer."

My stepmom's a wonderful woman, but she's one of these Birders. With the capital B. And the Leupold binoculars probably worth more than everything in my camera bag right now. And hundreds of dollars (if not thousands) in feeders. She's oddly not a prick about it, but my god does she invest so heavily in this stuff. At least our stupidly expensive crap can take a photo... Amirite?

I dunno about you guys, but I have a hard time just sitting in one spot in rubber boots with a silly hat watching the trees all day. I have a two year old, and apparently that offends people who came by after I was already there... grrr

The worst and I mean THE WORST has actually been bird photographers. A certain breed I will call elitists, better known as a right royal pain in the .... ahh never mind :) I've been lucky and only met a handful and they all have something in common so they tell me, they all actually have the perfect shots !! They stand up to take shots, they walk around with ants in their pants and say "Where are all the birds" Well guess what, they were here before you arrived. They all have the gear, but no brains.

All the best and I think what you call birders is what we call twitches. Must be.

Danny.

The worst and I mean THE WORST has actually been bird photographers. A certain breed I will call elitists,......

And the worst kind of elitist is the Gear Snob. The ones who own the most expensive gear. Not the best...... the most expensive.

"You've only spent $34,000 on your birding gear? Pfffft..... you hack. I've spent $35,000."

Even if you have the exact same gear, they relegate you to sub-human status because they are using 256 gig memory cards and yours are 'only 128 gig'.

It's funny, I actually report my sightings on ebird, but only if I've caught a picture of them. I keep some really s***y pictures of birds because it's the only one I've got - the next time I get a grey catbird, I'll replace it. It feels like cheating to say "Yup, I saw a...." if I can't prove it.

BillM - I'm an engineer too! I knew I liked you for a reason...

And minicoop - I have a 2 and 4 year old as well - I don't get as many up close bird photos when they're with me. Haha. We still hike in the woods and the 4 year old is getting pretty good at IDing. He shocked his father the other day with "Look Daddy, a brown-headed cowbird!" Ha. Husband says most kids just say "Look Daddy, a birdy!"

15 or so years ago I took a boat ride out of Ventura to the channel islands nwr. A load of birders, as there is a jay that lives no where else, were my companions and their life lists....Any way it drizzled the whole day and I went hiking. They got ready to leave and sent the park ranger to find me. Never saw the jay or the wild sheep but did see some grey whales. In short, good bird photography is done by good photographers. Bait them in to a set and use low power flash that doesn't scare them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back