Birds On The Move!

I don't mind the blurred wings, but I mind the motion/shake blur on the birds themselves.

depending on the bird/action, even at ~1/2000 you should still be getting some blur on the tips of the wings.

the second to last shot of the bird landing on the railing, the railing is tact sharp, but the bird is completely blurred. This reads as either miss-focused or motion/shake blur -- and not in a good way.

on the last shot, the railing is showing motion blur and the bird is even less in focus. Bumping the SS here could have achieved better results while still maintaining blurred wings.

on the first shot of the heron, when i view at 100%, I'm disappointed the body/head/feet of the bird are blurred.

Again, with all the focus misses here, hard to tell if it's technique/settings or just blown focus...

I see what you're saying now, THAT motion blur, lol! I noticed that myself before I posted the pictures. The problem is with my lens not focusing on the subject matter. It does it constantly on big zooms. The focus will jump around from one object to another at times or simply lock on to an object close to what I was aiming at. I've mentioned the problem in previous threads but I guess you missed that. I even said in this very thread that I would have to practice some quick manual focusing when zoomed to correct for the lens' behavior. I sometimes feel like returning the lens but I was told by someone on this forum that it's just the nature of a big zoom to have trouble focusing at such a long focal length, which makes perfect sense. Hey, again, thanks for the input! Nice talking with you! You take care, Braineack and happy snapping!

Last edited:
which lens is this? I'm a huge fan of the SS = 2 x the focal length at a bare min. rule of thumb when it comes to shooting long lenses.

which lens is this? I'm a huge fan of the SS = 2 x the focal length at a bare min. rule of thumb when it comes to shooting long lenses.

It's the Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD. BTW, thanks for the previous tips, I didn't realize that smaller aper's can make a picture sharper. I took some pics yesterday when it was overcast and got to see the results of using those settings and I like them. I can't wait for a sunny day to try them! I like them also because I don't have to use my monopod. I took all the pics at 1/2000 so no blur, just out of focus a tad. I found out that my camera (T-6) is outdated/sub par for 'good' use with this lens (my fault for not researching more before I bought the lens or vs versa) so I'll just have to live with it's shortcomings until I can get a higher end camera that's up to the task. Loved your bird family pics!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back