BJIF and a Kestrel

Maybe you can post some of your crappy shots so we know you are human like the rest of us:D
According to the guy below this I already did... :)

I think the blue jay shots are brilliant...great color, great use of DOF...right on the money. Personally however I just don't care for the kestrel shot...it's a great head-on pose, however the nearly pure white back ground just severely detracts from the image IMO. Likewise, the shot seems to lack the sharp focus of the other images, particularly around the kestrel's face. I also find the strong side lighting to be rather distracting...although I'm not really sure if it's a matter of how the shot was processed or if it was simply over-exposed (hard to tell). You're correct in that these are insanely fast birds and the shot looks like a good attempt, however compared with the others, to me it really comes up short.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Great shots as always Kris! Comparatively speaking do you find it any more or less difficult in shooting these guys as opposed to your osprey? I assume the smaller birds would be a little tougher just because I would think they are quicker.
They are quite a bit tougher. The 7D M2 has a 15 point AF mode that actually works great for the smaller birds. If you can get them in the viewfinder and lock them in, the camera tracks them pretty well

The Jays...does this post have anything at all to do with how well Toronto is doing in major league baseball?
Baseball... hmm. I vaguely remember that sport... I used to watch it quite a bit, but with chef life and wandering around photographing birds, processing, etc.. I don't have a long enough attention span anymore for 3-4 hour games :)

Most reactions

Back