BJP "Hasselblad defends Lunar's concept and pricing"

It might cost 300 euros if you factor in all the costs, and divide by the expected number of cameras.

This is really the reason lower volume stuff costs more, you can't just pretend the design and engineering costs, the setup costs, and so on are all zero. Somebody has to take the design for the NEX-7 can re-design the body for aluminum rather than plastic. Someone's got to convert those drawings to a program for the (possibly multiple) milling machines. Someone's got to devise specifications and tolerances, and devise jigs and tests to measure those tolerances.

Then, every time you want to manufacture some, someone's got to load the programs into the milling machines, knock a couple out for calibration, measure them up, re-calibrate the machine, and repeat these steps for all three of the machines you're going to use. Your waste material percentage goes through the roof since you're burning 3 or 4 or 20 raw billets just calibrating up for some tiny little run.

Then you finally get the whole thing going, knock out 150 bodies, pack them up for inventory, and you're done with that project for the next few months. Program, calibrate, test, measure for whatever you're doing next, valves for some hot rodded VW engine or whatever.

I think it's kind of stupid, polycarbonate is pretty amazing stuff. But if it's gonna be a Hasselblad, I guess it better have a metal body.

It's a long long way from 300 euros for the body to 5000 euros retail. They're probably making all manner of silly manufacturing choices all down the line, though, because they can, and to back up the artisanal flavor of the thing. Whatever, it's jewelry, not a tool.

Rumor has it they are coming out with an a-mount body as well.

I wonder what's under the hood - an a99 perhaps?

This is about the biggest branding disaster in camera history.

unpopular said:
Rumor has it they are coming out with an a-mount body as well.

I wonder what's under the hood - an a99 perhaps?

This is about the biggest branding disaster in camera history.

But they're not rebranding or anything, remember?

rexbobcat said:
But they're not rebranding or anything, remember?

Dude--you drank the Kool-Aid! Awesome!!!!!!

Right. With one lens and all the accessories the S2 totals about $30,000.

But its a Leica.

Leica used to warranty their lenses forever. No questions asked. It's busted? Ok, here's a new one.

They also gave away a car with one of their more expensive lenses for a while, as a promotion. I think it was a VW Bug?

Leica used to warranty their lenses forever. No questions asked. It's busted? Ok, here's a new one.

They also gave away a car with one of their more expensive lenses for a while, as a promotion. I think it was a VW Bug?

seriously? thats pretty awesome. a lifetime warranty is pretty ballsy. or a statement of confidence.
the car giveaway is pretty cool..but its proof that the lenses are way overpriced if they can throw in a car for free. (because obviously the car isn't "free", but built into the price of the lens.)

Everyone is talking about that Frankenstein and all I want is to see specs on their upcoming DSLR. Will it be 35mm or larger. Price?

Everyone is talking about that Frankenstein and all I want is to see specs on their upcoming DSLR. Will it be 35mm or larger. Price?

Are you talking about the A-Mount, or something else?

I'm not really sure why Hasselblad is adopting Sony mounts. Between the V-Mount, H-mount and X-mount you'd think they'd have something that would work for them without being associated with Sony - not exactly a brand known for their professional gear.

Hhmmm... I wonder if Leica has a European delivery program? You know; round-trip flight for two, two nights in a hotel, tour of the plant, duty-free shipping to the U.S., a few meals, taxi rides, and a commemorative photograph taken with your very own camera.

The S2 is a medium format body, and the price is actually pretty in line with it's class, a little more pricey in today's medium format market, but not like the "HEX-7".

I was about to say the same... Only someone who hasn't done their homework would have missed:

* Its a completely ground up design done in house... rather than borrowing from the existing.
* Its medium format digital.
* Price is in line with its closest competitors. (falls right in the middle between lower end and top end Hasselblads)

IMO, the Leica S2 system is actually priced more accurately than the Leica M system.

The S2 is a medium format body, and the price is actually pretty in line with it's class, a little more pricey in today's medium format market, but not like the "HEX-7".

I was about to say the same... Only someone who hasn't done their homework would have missed:

* Its a completely ground up design done in house... rather than borrowing from the existing.
* Its medium format digital.
* Price is in line with its closest competitors. (falls right in the middle between lower end and top end Hasselblads)

IMO, the Leica S2 system is actually priced more accurately than the Leica M system.

or...someone that doesn't have $30k to spend on a camera.

Um.. ok...

What does being able to afford the camera have to do with anything being discussed?

:er:

Ah I get it.. you actually think that not having $30k makes your assessment more accurate.... um yeh...

Most reactions

Back