black and white film gear

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by pocketshaver, May 8, 2019.

1. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    is there a better choice among 35mm cameras for shooting with black and white film?

Ive seen a few reviews that make it out as if a range finder is "best" as your looking above the lens and "wont have issues" with making the shot.

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Totally subjective. Some people do not like range finders. I prefer a 100% viewfinder SLR for 135 film. I find them easier to focus but not everyone finds that. I think its due to wearing glasses. Typically, prime lenses will offer you better micro contrast in both systems. Pushing and developing can higher contrast imagery. Look for a reliable, cla'd camera body and a highly regarded prime lens for it. Then start shooting and developing. Study up on push, pull, developing. Look up filters ar well, they can enhance certain situations.

3. Soocom1

Soocom1 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    having shot everything from folding to advanced SLRs its as jcdeboever says.
    its all subjective.

Any film camera will do and it depends on what YOU yourself want to do.
    Any one is capable.

4. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    After years of SLRs I found a rangefinder took some getting used to. The framing is a little different, I usually frame a little looser so an image will work if it's slightly inside or outside the frame lines.

Remember to take off the lens cap.

You won't be looking thru the lens like you do with an SLR, you'll be able to see what you're going to photograph even with the lens cap on. You could shoot an entire roll and then realize the lens cap was on the whole time. Not that I ever did that! lol (I think I caught it before I got too many frames into the roll!) I learned to check that the cap was off, and I leave it off til I'm ready to put the camera away.

Remember to take off the lens cap.

• Like Like x 2
  5. vintagesnaps

vintagesnaps Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've done B&W photography with an SLR, a rangefinder, vintage cameras, plastic cameras, and Polaroids. To me it's more about thinking about the light and dark in a scene/subject and how it will look with color removed.

Take off the lens cap.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The Nikon L35AF 35mm P&S had a panel attached to the cap which covered the viewfinder. So if you could not see anything, you left the cap on. And it worked :oops:

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That is probably a statement from a RF shooter, not an SLR shooter.

Today, the "best" camera is whatever is in good condition and works.
    Old cameras may/likely needs a CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust) and repairs; 30+ year old foam seal are likely turning to dust, 30+ year old lube is probably dried out, . . .

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pocketshaver

pocketshaver TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ive been going through vintage options, THINKING a Canon FTB QL would be a rather good one with electronics for me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Original katomi

Original katomi No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pentax K 1000 nice solid only electric part was the needle light meter
    I used to use Ilford FP4 asa125 pulled to 100 but this was early 80s
    Compeared to my canon 600d, & canon pixma ix6550 printer the Pentax with fp4 home darkroom gave me much better b&w photos. All my digital b&w pics have a colour cast. I think is caused by me but not sure how or why

10. Nathaniel S.

Nathaniel S. TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is going to come down to personal preference. Think about the features that you do and don't want.

Do you want auto focus?
    Does the camera need to have auto, shutter propriety and/or aperture priority?
    Fully manual?
    Do you need interchangeable lenses?

Keep in mind your price range. The popular cameras cost significantly more than the competition from other manufactures.

For instance a Ricoh or Fujica is going to be 1/3 or 1/4 the price of a Pentax K-1000 or Canon AE-1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    The Nikon F100 was 95% of the F5, but used prices are relatively good these days.

The higher-end Nikons from the the last year of the 1990's are now 20 years old...

Reliability...newer and higher-grade is better, IMO. The Nikon F4s ( big and ugly, IMO) and F5 ( heavy with all those AA batteries and it built-in motor and vertical grip)(autofocus) were pretty rugged cameras.

In manual focus, the Nikon F3 with the HP finder was a nice camera..I still have one I bought USED in 1985..still works..still meters... MD-4 motor drive still works...half-height or with the AA cell-power MD-4 added, the HP finder is GREAT for eyeglass wearers.

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. webestang64

webestang64 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

My favorite BW film shooter is my Pentax MX. Another one is the Nikon F2. I don't believe that a range finder camera is "better" than a SLR, sounds like urban legend stuff to me. It can just boil down to how the film is processed.