What about the black and white with the little element of color in it?
Do you like that or just find it distracting?
For me this is very distracting, and smacks of gimmick, but that's just my personal opinion, not to be considered a judgment against the opinions of others. The bit of color, no matter how small, always draws my eye like a magnet and holds it there in that spot - overriding the strength of all other values so strongly that it prevents me from being able to appreciate the rest of what is being presented. I see it somewhat like presenting a large block of text, but having something
in bold. Does that not tug at your eye as you read the rest of the text here? That's how I feel when I look at an image that uses this technique. A more photographically oriented example might be how a large patch of pure white sky pulls the eye in a landscape image.
I suppose that in some cases this technique might be a good choice, but I have to admit that I can't come up with one right off the top of my head.
- Randy