Black and white?

KevinPutman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not really my personal favorite, but thought I'd try my hand at it.

Let me know if you want to see one of these in colour.

bridge-1.jpg

2-5.jpg

3-4.jpg

4.jpg

Hi there kevin
I would love to see #1 in colour. I like it but the sky looks really washed out in Black and White. I noticed the large black area on the right where the detail is gone completely. I like it a lot though. Not sure why - I just do. ;)

Cheers and thanks for sharing
Jim

p.s. Just checked out your PS8. <lol> Nice one mate

Went for a somewhat surrealistic look with the PP.
eh?
ergxl1.jpg

color version of this picture is 10X better IMO. There is alot more seperation between the bush and the bridge in the color picture.

Nice. Much better.

Cheers
Jim

Black and white NEEDS great lighting, unlike color shots. Contrast and different tones are extremely important. Unfortunately, it looks like these were shot midday, so the lighting is quite flat, and shadows are harsh.

Keep your eyes on shadows especially. Great shadows can translate into phenomenal black and white shots. Watch out though, B&W can get quite addicting!

Black and white NEEDS great lighting, unlike color shots. Contrast and different tones are extremely important. Unfortunately, it looks like these were shot midday, so the lighting is quite flat, and shadows are harsh.

Keep your eyes on shadows especially. Great shadows can translate into phenomenal black and white shots. Watch out though, B&W can get quite addicting!
define/show "great" shadows?

I just took an advanced photography class, using only black and white film. I personal favorite in 2. The lines going back draws your eye in. The contrast in all of these are pretty well done also.

Not blocked.

The term blocked is for shadows, as the term blownout is for highlights. In other words, no detail.

If you're going to venture into B&W read about the 'Zone System'.

How are you converting from color to B&W? Are you using a Raw file or a JPEG?

Not blocked.

The term blocked is for shadows, as the term blownout is for highlights. In other words, no detail.

If you're going to venture into B&W read about the 'Zone System'.

How are you converting from color to B&W? Are you using a Raw file or a JPEG?

Zone system...got it.
My camera doesn't shoot in RAW, (although the CHDK allows me to, just haven't quite figured it out yet.)
So yes, JPEG, then converting to B&W in Photoshop, then messing around with contrast/etc.

And when you were talking about blocked, I'm guessing you meant the parts in the lower left and right of the second image?
Those were "blocked" in PP, I can lighten them up (as I did in the color version).

#2 looks like it needs rotated a few degrees to the left. The seam in the ceiling is parallel to the edge of the frame, but the supports for the piping are not. If you can only have one or the other, I would go with the piping supports.
Or maybe the last support or two is just bent... It's hard for me to tell now. The ones farther back look straighter than the last couple.

While you're at it, go ahead and rotate it 180 degrees. To me, it looks like it might be more interesting that way. Maybe not though... Just try it and see what you think.

I think that one (#2) is the best of the set, but I feel like it still needs a little something.

Tighter crop, slight adjustment to contrast, rotated.
eh?
detbgw.jpg

I like it. To me, it's an improvement. Even though it's actually upside down, it doesn't look like it. It looked upside down when it wasn't, lol.

I like it. To me, it's an improvement. Even though it's actually upside down, it doesn't look like it. It looked upside down when it wasn't, lol.

Yeah I'm liking the upside down more as well.

Shhh, no one has to know. It'll be our little secret.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back