Black Cameras

ferny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.blueyedmuffin.co.uk
Why do some people look down on you for having a camera which isn't black? I've never had it happen to me but I've seen people say that it does to them. It never even crossed my mind that the colour of your camera would make you look like you didn't know what you were doing. I first heard of this on another forum where someone was saying that if you don't have a black camera you aren't a pro. Seems a stupid thing to say to me. I can see some logic there. Manufacturers seem to make high end cameras in black only. Then someone said that the only reason that they are black is because of a trend set in the 60's or 70's where people were taking pictures of celebrities and taped up their cameras with black tape. Chrome cameras made you stick out like a sour thumb when you didn't want to. the idea stuck as the people making money from such photos wanted black straight from the box.

Then there is the other side to it. Why are pro lenses white/grey? To stop them from getting too hot and distorting (or so I'm told). So why give someone a black camera which will get hot to?

I'm just putting down some thoughts that have gone through my mind and I'm interested to see you guys have to say on the subject. Have you even heard that you could be looked down upon for having a silver camera? :)

My camera is silver Ive never had a problem with it. It still takes film too ;)

I went to this mansion to take photos one day, I had 2 kids with 4 dslrs that they couldnt use, following me and taking photos of what I took photos of co they must have thought I knew what I was doing.

It was funny, 2 kids with cameras 40 times the amount of what I paid for mine, and they still dont know what theyre doing.
So silver hasnt held me back yet.

If you shoot silver camera, you aren't a pro. Why?

Pros shoot a lot, silver cameras won't do because generally:

The build is not there. Won't last if abused professionally. And it's not the body only. The internal mechanisms are better built too. IE: the 10Ds shutter lasts longer than the Drebel's.

Silver cameras usually lack features for pros, like diff flash parameters, AF systems... etc...

Black cameras were designed and priced for constant abuse and usage. They are also priced out of range of "non pro" photographers.

Black looks much cooler than white. :D

Also, when shooting pro, there is a small chance you might end up shooting glass or other reflective material. White, silver, or chrome is much more likely to show up in a reflection than black.

When I shoot reflectives with my Nikon F, I always place black masking tape over the chrome parts to avoid that.

DocFrankenstein said:

The build is not there. Won't last if abused professionally. And it's not the body only. The internal mechanisms are better built too. IE: the 10Ds shutter lasts longer than the Drebel's.

Silver cameras usually lack features for pros, like diff flash parameters, AF systems... etc...

Black cameras were designed and priced for constant abuse and usage. They are also priced out of range of "non pro" photographers.

what is a pro photographer anyway? if you wake up one morning and say "im pro!!" then i guess your pro right? if thats the case, can i be cindy crawford? cause id never leave the house. the deal with silver cameras(right now) is the plastic build. but i do have a little knowledge in metals and plastics and it would require much to build a mag alloy body and plated or anodized silver or what ever color you want. i think its an unfortunate generalization and one that will make many photographers spend gobs of money of **** they dont need yet.

md

I don't care about what color have somebodies cam... I have a friend who has a red one, digital sony, veru very small, really amateur, but when I saw a few shots I just stared at them without a word... so good... so it's not important what color your cam has.... just ignore those who look down at you...

DocFrankenstein said:

I believe the question was not wether you are pro or not but why do people look down on you if your camera isn't black. In every field I've been in I 've found people who are critical of others for whatever reaosn are generally insecure. I've been taking pictures for about 30 years and I have not one, but two black cameras and I still feel like a rank amateur when I see the work of a lot of folks with "silver cameras".

Color of the camera is pretty far down the list of stuff that's actually important in photography. Much higher on the fashion accessory list. :wink: Not that there is anything wrong with that. I feel like Mr. Suave when I'm toting my Rolleiflex (black with chrome trim) or Widelux (chrome with black trim). My gear bags always look nerdy though, I'm sure. I just use whatever old bag that the set-up I'm using for the day fits in; I've even used old diaper bags :?

I too have heard the idea that chrome gear could cause reflections, but I've used a lot of it, and never had a problem. I did use black tape around the end of a chrome cable release that just seemed to sit really close to the lens of my Rollei (the shutter release is less than an inch from the taking lens), but I don't even know if it would've caused problems without the tape.

I wish I knew how to give my cameras custom, pro quality paint jobs. I'd paint every single one of them; chrome and black are boring! Someday I'll get one of those fancy yellow, red, or blue Hasselblads. But I want more: fades, animal patterns, etc... I like to get some stuff from this company for replacing the leatherette on some of my vintage cams; but I always seem to find something else to spend the money on.

www.cameraleather.com

I do think its funny how much appearance matters. I've never had an issue with color but I have a battery pack/vertical grip for my Elan IIe and I get comments on the camera as a whole. I guess its because it has the "square" form factor as opposed the the typical rectangular of non-pro 35mm cameras. People are silly creatures.

MDowdey said:
what is a pro photographer anyway?
Professional:
He makes his living using his equipment
He spends A LOT of time doing photography (30-40 hours a week)

DocFrankenstein said:
MDowdey said:
Professional:

i could be a "starving professional" i guess

md

MDowdey said:
DocFrankenstein said:
MDowdey said:
Professional:

That's called an artist. Pure art is useless in today's world. It's not appreciated.

Look at the photos that sell: Sports, racing, portraits, weddings...

Things that sell are not art. It's technical stuff. You just follow rules for posing.... scripts... like 150 standard wedding photography poses...

Sports illustrated... they hire 20 guys with 1Ds and best lenses. They just shoot till their finger falls off. Out of 10000 photos, they select some 2 important ones and print them.

Is that art? Or is that being a part of a well oiled capitalist machine?

This is why silver cameras are undervalued. The were designed for art... not for commercial use.

DocFrankenstein said:
MDowdey said:
DocFrankenstein said:
MDowdey said:
Professional:

That's called an artist. Pure art is useless in today's world. It's not appreciated.

Look at the photos that sell: Sports, racing, portraits, weddings...

Things that sell are not art. It's technical stuff. You just follow rules for posing.... scripts... like 150 standard wedding photography poses...

Sports illustrated... they hire 20 guys with 1Ds and best lenses. They just shoot till their finger falls off. Out of 10000 photos, they select some 2 important ones and print them.

Is that art? Or is that being a part of a well oiled capitalist machine?

This is why silver cameras are undervalued. The were designed for art... not for commercial use.

i disagree with everything you just said. there will NEVER be a picture that sells for what the top paintings go for, now thats art.

md

I'm sorry, but even after reading all this, I don't see how the color of your camera affects your ranking as a photographer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back