Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K -- Seriously

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Philip Bloom demonstrates the Fujinon MK 18-55mm T2.9 and 50-135mm T2.9 cinema lenses used on the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K camera. His lenses were not bought in the M43 mount. His were originally in Sony E-Mount (Super 35) and were converted by MTF Services. Apparently the 18-55mm is available in M43 mount costing $4,999.00 Cdn and the 50-135mm T2.9 in M43 costing $5,299.00 Cdn from Vistek. I do not think that these are direct from Fuji in these mounts. Vistek is probably getting them modified. Last year, Fuji released MKX versions of these lens which are Fuji's X-mount.

Note: It is unlikely that I will ever buy a lens this expensive, but this video covers most of the differences between real cinema zooms and still photography lenses.

"AN EPIC COMBO: Blackmagic Pocket 4K & Fujinon MK cinema lenses",

posted by "Philip Bloom", Apr 3, 2019,

Don`t think I`d ever buy a lens that costly either.

Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K -- Seriously

I was going to start a new topic for this, but I felt it was wasteful, because both these videos together have the same overall point, so I renamed this topic. The point is, what does it cost to expand the Black Magic Pocket Cinema 4K from a viable "b-roll" camera into a viable "a-roll" camera, and why?

The first video covers the cost of "a-roll" capable lenses. This video gives a good idea of "the rest of the kit". In the end, there are a lot of opinions about this. I like this video because it addresses the issue of lens support. If you keep your lenses small and light enough, you do not need lens support, but I felt that the Fuji lenses in the first video were too long to leave unsupported. It was not clear if Bloom used a lens support, but I think that he would probably agree that it is a good idea.

"DPReview TV: The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K shoots Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", posted by "DPReview", Mar 30, 2019,

Don`t think I`d ever buy a lens that costly either.

Actually, it really is not necessary to buy this lens anyway. It is worth it if you are doing the work constantly, but otherwise, it is economical to rent. These are Vistek's rates for the 18-55mm zoom in Canadian dollars (US dollars are variably less):

Day: $90, Weekend: $90, Add'l Day: $67.50, Week: $270

For still photographers, rentals are done for "rarely used" equipment. For cinema, it is just about always done. It is the only way most companies can get anything done. Cinema is all about planning and budgeting.

Most reactions

Back