How do you like setting IS when shooting video?

TWX

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've got a 77D with a couple of different options for body image stabilization (presumably evaluating the sensor plane and shifting as the camera body shifts) and a selection of lenses with varying degrees of in-lens image stabilization. I'm trying to come up with a basic rule of thumb for when to turn on the body-IS in a mild mode, body-IS in an aggressive mode, and lens-IS. I'm typically shooting video either fully handheld or using a tripod with pan and tilt. Do you have a general method for when to have which kind of IS enabled?

For what it's worth, when I'm shooting handheld I'm typically using the camera's internal mics which usually pick up at least some noise from the lens, but when I'm using the tripod I'm usually using a supercardioid balanced mic through balanced to unbalanced converter, and I don't get very much camera operational noise.

Stabilizing during recording is going to end up a personal issue. You just have to learn how you prefer to work. But you need to do it methodically so you can tell what is going on. You will find that it varies from setup (lens + body + tripod or handheld) to setup. Personally I mainly use a monopod now.

The thing to do is set it up "maximum on" and use it for a day, preferably with only one lens, and keeping good notes. Then vary it and look at the differences.

According to the manual, if you switch off the lense IS, that disables the body IS as well, so that should help you somewhat....

Whilst I don’t do vid it’s my understanding that
IS should be turned off when using a tripod as the the IS overcompensates
Edit
Just looked at a couple of web sites and yes the convention that IS should be off when using tripods still hold. It is apparently more notable in long lenses

Hope this of help

I've not noticed an issue either way. The only official word I've read from Canon us to shut is off when using a tripod simply to conserve battery, since it's not needed. I almost never shut it off because I forget....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back