Black on Black for C&C (BESP)

pharmakon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy folks!
This weeks BESP project was to create a Triptych. We had to take 3 images of our subject and combine them to make one image in three parts. the three images together should also form some kind of compositional relationship.

In this weeks assignment I also made my first attempts to intentionally black out the background of the images, and to add reflections via plexiglass beneath the subject. These were not part of the assignment, but I wanted to work on the technique. What I found most difficult was achieving both of the above at the same time.

I would appreciate your C&C on both the photo as it applies to the assignment as well as my additional attempts as stated above. Thanks!!!

4456293426_ec6563615d_b.jpg

P.S. I know this subject has been done a thousand times before, I was short on another interesting subject that would fit on a 20x30 plexiglass sheet.

The shots are crisp and I like the lighting. #3 is confusing as I'm not certain what I'm looking at (I know, but then again, I don't really know).

How do you feel the 3 work together compositionally?

BESP?

You don't have enough detail in these images. It takes a bit of time to deduce what the subject is. A "skim" light would help these quite a bit.

-Pete

Took me 2 seconds to realize what is was...

The shots are crisp and I like the lighting. #3 is confusing as I'm not certain what I'm looking at (I know, but then again, I don't really know).

Thinking he pulled the hammer and got a pic of the chamber. If you look closely you can see a round.

BTW OP, nice gun. Barrette is a great brand.

lighting on all of em is exquisite and the composition is very well done, although how did you do number 2 do you have some sort of translucent string or something?

BESP?

You don't have enough detail in these images. It takes a bit of time to deduce what the subject is. A "skim" light would help these quite a bit.

-Pete

I knew what it was the second I looked at it, its a Beretta 9000S, but that is beside the point.

The point is, the subject isn't clearly defined. Even in the center picture, you really have to strain your eyes to make out any detail, is it a watergun? Is it a toy gun? Is it a painting of a gun? The whole thing is just too black.

I think the center picture with the gun falling, and the use of plexiglass reflections are quite ingenious composition techniques... however, the overall the subject itself is washed out.

Here's a little tweeking in PS.... it really makes the image pop, and brings much more attention to the subject.

BESP?

-Pete

I knew what it was the second I looked at it, its a Beretta 9000S, but that is beside the point.

The point is, the subject isn't clearly defined. Even in the center picture, you really have to strain your eyes to make out any detail, is it a watergun? Is it a toy gun? Is it a painting of a gun? The whole thing is just too black.

I think the center picture with the gun falling, and the use of plexiglass reflections are quite ingenious composition techniques... however, the overall the subject itself is washed out.

Here's a little tweeking in PS.... it really makes the image pop, and brings much more attention to the subject.

Sorry to be a dick, but you ruined those images. :thumbdown:
They were supposed to be dramatic low key shots and you turned them into a noisy mess.

Sorry to be a dick, but you ruined those images. :thumbdown:

you aren't being a dick.. I did ruin the image, it was just a quick PS. My intent wasn't to improve the image, my intent was to show how more detail can draw more attention to the subject.

I had no issues with the OP's original images and could make out the subject clearly ... I tend to agree with iBats statement I liked the original images and find Boomn's redo to be waaaaay to harsh, and there is even area's of BLOWOUT in the redos ...

I, too, am also curious with iBats as to how the OP got that angle ... unless there is some really good cloning to remove a stand in PP.

Perhaps, we are missing the point or points.

In my mind, a triptych is composed of three related images - not necessarily separate images. If there was some on image 1 within image 2 which was part of image three them you've got a triptych. Consider one properly composed image sliced into three.

Firearms need strategically placed lights with large soft modifiers to render the shape - texture and details of the arms. Your attempt to abstract and simplify them was noble yet slightly unsuccessful. Review what you want the images to say and previsualize the lighting before you retake. Guns are tough unless you make the shapes work for you and compliment each other.
g

Thanks everyone for the input. I wasn't able to get back earlier today so I am going to do the multi-quote thing to try to cover everything.

hmm.. if I had to sum up that part of the assignment in one word... Fail. At the time I was thinking 2 abstract and 1 clearly discernable, but the final composition is less than artistic.

Honestly I think 1&2 would work together, 2&3 would work together, but all three at once seems like it loses a cohesive look. I think when I was putting it together I was more cought up with the three best images of the shoot rather than the way they work together.

BESP?
... A "skim" light would help these quite a bit.

BESP=Bitter's Evil Schol of Photography. The member Bitter Jeweler has taken some of us under his wing and is trying to help us improve our skills and creative vision.

I tried googling "skim lighting" but couldn't find much. I am assuming it is a thin plane of light? I used a snoot on the main light to try to control spill, perhaps I should have done the same for the fill light.

Thinking he pulled the hammer and got a pic of the chamber. If you look closely you can see a round.

BTW OP, nice gun. Barrette is a great brand.
I locked the action open, to expose the chamber. I had another without a round in the clip that looked really abstract, if not a week too late. (Last weeks assignment was abstract)

And thank you.

...how did you do number 2 do you have some sort of translucent string or something?

I did. I will try to produce some kind of diagrams for the setup and lighting, but to state it quickly for now, the 9000s has a convenient hole in the hammer, I used a fishing line hung from the ceiling through said hole and shot it laying on my back looking up. My initial plan was to get a "levetation" effect in the reflection, but I couldn't get it to work just right. You can see a piece of line I failed to notice/clone in the first image in boomin4x4's edit of the pic.

Boomn4x4, I see where you were going with the edit, but I think your vision is beyond photoshop, it would require a reshoot with a different lighting setup to look good. I personally was trying to get a cold, dramatic feel from the lighting, but I probably could have upped the power of my fill just a little to bring out more detail.

In my mind, a triptych is composed of three related images - not necessarily separate images. If there was some on image 1 within image 2 which was part of image three them you've got a triptych. Consider one properly composed image sliced into three.

I have seen the single image cut up before, but it wouldn't have fit the particular assignment. I do admit as stated above that I didn't really succeed in showing a compositional relationship between all three images.

Firearms need strategically placed lights with large soft modifiers to render the shape - texture and details of the arms. Your attempt to abstract and simplify them was noble yet slightly unsuccessful. Review what you want the images to say and previsualize the lighting before you retake. Guns are tough unless you make the shapes work for you and compliment each other.
g

Thank you. It was tough for me as I'm not too experienced. Took me 20 shots or so to start getting the results I have without a shadow, glare, or flare (shoot, adjust lighting, repeat). I think the large soft modifiers would have definately helped, I tried bouncing my fill off a wall, but I think the power was too low. I don't have much lighting aside from my 2 flashes and some homemade snoots and diffusers. I will definately revisit this shoot when I add to my strobist arsenal.

Nate and LBPhotog, Thank you both, and I'm working on the diagram, but it might look a little primative.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback!

Don't mind the horrible handwriting. Hopefully these make sense.

4458244227_c9c9cac65f_o.jpg

#1 - Side view - As shown everything was hung from the ceiling and shot from the floor. (The main, center image only, images 1 and 3 were shot at or near eye level with subject) The reflection came from a plexiglass poster frame with black posterboard inside.

the initial reason for this odd setup was to keep the gun off the plexi, allowing the odd angle, and some seperation from the reflection so to appear as if it were floating. However, I ended up moving the plexi closer to the subject because my "floating" idea didn't work as planned. (plexi and black background were both too small to get a successful shot)

4458244619_2c20aed208_o.jpg

Lighting: Primarily from one snooted flash camera right, about subject height, probably slightly lower now that I think about it. Positioned camera right, just behind the plane of the plexi sheet to reduce glare.

pharmakon I think from the shots prospective those pics are really good. Individually the reflections and black background give the object another perspective which I like.

Still I am trying to figure out the story that you wanted to communicate in the whole composition. I don't see any related flow between them, other than the fact that they are gun related.

Most reactions

Back