Thanks everyone for the input. I wasn't able to get back earlier today so I am going to do the multi-quote thing to try to cover everything.
How do you feel the 3 work together compositionally?
hmm.. if I had to sum up that part of the assignment in one word... Fail. At the time I was thinking 2 abstract and 1 clearly discernable, but the final composition is less than artistic.
Honestly I think 1&2 would work together, 2&3 would work together, but all three at once seems like it loses a cohesive look. I think when I was putting it together I was more cought up with the three best images of the shoot rather than the way they work together.
BESP?
... A "skim" light would help these quite a bit.
BESP=Bitter's Evil Schol of Photography. The member Bitter Jeweler has taken some of us under his wing and is trying to help us improve our skills and creative vision.
I tried googling "skim lighting" but couldn't find much. I am assuming it is a thin plane of light? I used a snoot on the main light to try to control spill, perhaps I should have done the same for the fill light.
Thinking he pulled the hammer and got a pic of the chamber. If you look closely you can see a round.
BTW OP, nice gun. Barrette is a great brand.
I locked the action open, to expose the chamber. I had another without a round in the clip that looked really abstract, if not a week too late. (Last weeks assignment was abstract)
And thank you.
...how did you do number 2 do you have some sort of translucent string or something?
I did. I will try to produce some kind of diagrams for the setup and lighting, but to state it quickly for now, the 9000s has a convenient hole in the hammer, I used a fishing line hung from the ceiling through said hole and shot it laying on my back looking up. My initial plan was to get a "levetation" effect in the reflection, but I couldn't get it to work just right. You can see a piece of line I failed to notice/clone in the first image in boomin4x4's edit of the pic.
Boomn4x4, I see where you were going with the edit, but I think your vision is beyond photoshop, it would require a reshoot with a different lighting setup to look good. I personally was trying to get a cold, dramatic feel from the lighting, but I probably could have upped the power of my fill just a little to bring out more detail.
In my mind, a triptych is composed of three related images - not necessarily separate images. If there was some on image 1 within image 2 which was part of image three them you've got a triptych. Consider one properly composed image sliced into three.
I have seen the single image cut up before, but it wouldn't have fit the particular assignment. I do admit as stated above that I didn't really succeed in showing a compositional relationship between all three images.
Firearms need strategically placed lights with large soft modifiers to render the shape - texture and details of the arms. Your attempt to abstract and simplify them was noble yet slightly unsuccessful. Review what you want the images to say and previsualize the lighting before you retake. Guns are tough unless you make the shapes work for you and compliment each other.
g
Thank you. It was tough for me as I'm not too experienced. Took me 20 shots or so to start getting the results I have without a shadow, glare, or flare (shoot, adjust lighting, repeat). I think the large soft modifiers would have definately helped, I tried bouncing my fill off a wall, but I think the power was too low. I don't have much lighting aside from my 2 flashes and some homemade snoots and diffusers. I will definately revisit this shoot when I add to my strobist arsenal.
Nate and LBPhotog, Thank you both, and I'm working on the diagram, but it might look a little primative.
Thanks again everyone for your feedback!