DSC_6933 (3).JPG

DSC_7085 (3).JPG
DSC_7077 (2).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_6933 (3).JPG
    DSC_6933 (3).JPG
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
The OP chose his interpretation as the basis for his challenge...
I personally think this is perfectly reasonable for a contest organizer to do for their own contests. If people don't like the OP's definition, couldn't they organize their own contest thread with their own definitions and requirements for entries?

Great let's redefine portrait photography to only studio, only shot with Nikon, and only shot with a 105 mm lens.

By definition candid photography as defined by the original poster is actually more like surveillance photography or voyeuristic photography.

If the subject or subjects cannot be aware of the camera then what you are doing is not candid photography necessarily but something entirely different.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200923-183624.png
    Screenshot_20200923-183624.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 121

Where is the op to tell you that these are not candid photos, and that the subjects were fully aware that the camera was pointed at them? Where is the attack from the op telling you that your photo does not belong here?

That was a candid photo. She had no idea that I was pointing the camera at her until she turned my way, and I tripped the shutter before she could react.

By definition candid photography as defined by the original poster is actually more like surveillance photography or voyeuristic photography.

If the subject or subjects cannot be aware of the camera then what you are doing is not candid photography necessarily but something entirely different.

I prefer "impromptu" to "candid" as defined by the OP. Subject awareness of the camera seems beside the point. Unless they're vision-impaired or been raised by wolves, subjects know a camera when they see one and know what they do.

I'm really disappointed with the bickering.
I suspect that Gerard (gk) may have been put off these challenges altogether and I wouldn't blame him.
I hope he decides that it would be worthwhile to continue.

I'm really disappointed with the bickering.
I suspect that Gerard (gk) may have been put off these challenges altogether and I wouldn't blame him.
I hope he decides that it would be worthwhile to continue.
Yes, he is not responsible for the bickering that went on after the initial disagreement.

However, let me point out that these challenges are completely member-driven - meaning, anyone who wants can certainly select a new theme and start a new thread. Unlike things like the TPF Challenge and POTM, this is very informal, doesn't require a moderator, etc., so can be done by anyone who takes an interest.

Have at it, folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back