Black & White with Color...mode on camera???

jamaicamenutts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but I have spoken with 2 people now who have pictures that are black and white with color splashed in. When I asked them how they did that or what software they used....they said it was a setting their friends used ON their camera.

Does anyone know what setting this could be? I have 3 cameras I can work with on this and I have looked through the manuals and see nothing on doing this directly on the camera. I know you can do it in photo editing software, but I would love to be able to do it directly on the camera if possible.

These are the cameras I have:

Olympus E-510 (Digital SLR)
Olympus Stylus 730
Olympus Stylus 770 SW (waterproof camera)

My husband has the Olympus E-500 (digital SLR)

So...does anyone have any suggestions or know the setting that does this??? My cameras arent really old, but I guess it could be a new setting??? Any help would be great! I leave for vacation on Sunday and would love to have it figured out by then!:heart:

I have never heard of being able to do this in camera. It wouldn't make sense to be able to select where you wanted your color at. That is if you are referring to B&W images with select color.

Derrick

There are not any cameras I know of that do this either. It is all done in post processing.

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, but I have spoken with 2 people now who have pictures that are black and white with color splashed in. When I asked them how they did that or what software they used....they said it was a setting their friends used ON their camera.

Does anyone know what setting this could be? I have 3 cameras I can work with on this and I have looked through the manuals and see nothing on doing this directly on the camera. I know you can do it in photo editing software, but I would love to be able to do it directly on the camera if possible.

These are the cameras I have:

Olympus E-510 (Digital SLR)
Olympus Stylus 730
Olympus Stylus 770 SW (waterproof camera)

My husband has the Olympus E-500 (digital SLR)

So...does anyone have any suggestions or know the setting that does this??? My cameras arent really old, but I guess it could be a new setting??? Any help would be great! I leave for vacation on Sunday and would love to have it figured out by then!:heart:

I hate to break the bad news to you but those informants of yours are, as we would say where I come from, pulling your leg. Well that or they are dumber than a sack of rocks. What you are referring to is call selective color and is a post processing function, not an in camera function. Here is how it is done.
http://www.dphotojournal.com/video-tutorial-selective-color/

There are not any cameras I know of that do this either. It is all done in post processing.

Some Canon point-and-shoots do this in camera, though it can be done pretty easily in post.

sd750 for one

It's true, on the SD750 you can select a color and turn everything else monochrome. But you cannot select a particular subject unless that subject has one color (i.e. flower).

i have a student who does this with her point and shoot on a regular basis.

i ws amazed at just what these p&s cameras are programmed to do these days.

Don't know which camera she was using, but i do think it was a cannon of some flavor.

Yes, you see it all the times in teenage girls myspace pics. Im pretty sure you just choose a color and it elimanates all other colors.

I think its funny how most people here cant work a P&S for their life, haha

Yeah both the Canon SD750 and SD1000 do this. They are just point and shoots. Its neat but thats about it

They also have a color "swap" feature that will replace one color with another in the photo, however it doesn't work very well

I have the Canon S3 IS and I know S2 and S5 do as well... it´s called color accent.... and you can have one color to show while the rest are b&w...

I have a buddy that has a Canon P&S; well the middle grade between P&S and SLR. It has an option for selective coloring. It also will do color swapping in it. I can't remember what kind it is though, but it does go to show there are cameras that will do this.

sd750 for one

Well I'll be a suck egg mule. They sure are putting a lot of gizmos on the P&S cameras these days. Any of em make coffee for you while your shooting?:lol:

I guess you can toss me into that sack with them other dumb rocks. But I will admit when I am wrong and on this one it looks like I was wrong. I don't own a P&S but was thinking about getting a G9. Wonder what spangle and sparkle Canon put into it.

Most reactions

Back