Black Widow - Found in Our House

F that. I'm moving.

^^this^^

Ever since my uncle put on Arachnophobia one time I can't deal with spiders. During a family funeral he took the kids back to his house...now myself and all 12 of my cousins are afraid of spiders.

My sister was bitten by a BW a couple of years ago - and was hospitalized three different times because of it - EXTREMELY painful...... unfortuanately, we are overwhelmed by BWs at the house where we live now. I see more in a week at my house that I had seen in my entire life previously! I am arachaphobic so not the best situation...... but after my sister got bit I did some research on the little boogers and found out that they reproduce in mass and can take over an area so I went on the offensive. I spray usually twice a year for them, and the last time I sprayed I emptied out all the closets and sprayed all inside them and the baseboards of all the rooms, around doorways etc to try to prevent them from EVER wanting to come into my house! But, I have to be very careful working in my flower beds because they LOVE to climb in flower pots, or get under the rock I have around my beds, etc. They also love black plastic which we learned while the house was under construction!!

I did have a good laugh though shortly after we moved into our new home, my oldest son was home alone and found a HUGE (about the size of a quarter) BW building a web in the corner of our porch...... he called and told me he was about to take pictures of it with my camera. I told him ok, as long as he stayed a safe distance away. Well, he takes my nikon with my 80-200 lens attached and goes to take a picture....the spider jumps for some reason and he almost kills himself jumping backwards and came close to jumping OFF our porch...... he FORGOT that he had the lens zoomed out all the way and he thought the spider was attacking him! Made a for a good laugh after the fact but scared him GOOD at the time!

My advice, GET THE HOUSE SPRAYED asap.....where you find one, particularly that size, I am willing to bet there are MORE!!

Good luck,
Gen

Move north, few feet of snow makes the trick trust me! ;) None of this things can survive long up here!:mrgreen:
Nice shots by the way

Those things are everywhere in California haha
yeah they are. don't bother me in the least. i dig through wood piles and scrap heaps and never give them a thought, even when i know they are there. they are really very timid so they tend to move out of the way. just gotta keep an eye on them so you don't squish up on them bare skinned. oh!! plenty of time to get to a hospital if they do bite and deaths are fairly uncommon.

You should have waited till after the pictures to kill it. :lol:

We have thousands of them at work, but I never see them at home (I'm glad about that though). At work, you can't walk 10 feet without seeing one.

I thought about bringing one home to take pictures of, but I'd hate to loose it in my house... :lmao:

You should have waited till after the pictures to kill it. :lol:

We have thousands of them at work, but I never see them at home (I'm glad about that though). At work, you can't walk 10 feet without seeing one.

I thought about bringing one home to take pictures of, but I'd hate to loose it in my house... :lmao:

My wife had already killed it before I got home.

If I'd been the one to find it alive, I'd probably have used the Glock instead of the Nikon, as someone else suggested!

That's scary! Spiders usually don't creep me out, but ones that can do real damage do. Are you going to have your house treated to try and keep all the creepy crawly things out now? I probably would. I'd be worried there were more. Yikes!

That's scary! Spiders usually don't creep me out, but ones that can do real damage do. Are you going to have your house treated to try and keep all the creepy crawly things out now? I probably would. I'd be worried there were more. Yikes!

Looking into that now.

Looking into that now.
We tried to have an exterminator come out to our work to get rid of all the black widows... They said they didn't have anything that can kill them - they are immune to poison. I guess it's true, we squirt chemicals on them that kill every other kind of bug instantly, and they just swim in it.

They told us that the only way to get rid of them is to get rid of their food supply and wait for them to go somewhere else.

For us, that just wasn't possible...

Looking into that now.
We tried to have an exterminator come out to our work to get rid of all the black widows... They said they didn't have anything that can kill them - they are immune to poison. I guess it's true, we squirt chemicals on them that kill every other kind of bug instantly, and they just swim in it.

They told us that the only way to get rid of them is to get rid of their food supply and wait for them to go somewhere else.

For us, that just wasn't possible...

"we squirt chemicals on them that kill every other kind of bug instantly, and they just swim in it" "get rid of their food supply and wait for them to go somewhere else"

Up here in Wisconsin we employ high tech 21st century methods that work every time for stuff we don't like. I like to try for a more precise and stylish delivery but most just use a hap hazard stomping technique. No waiting they generally swim no more.

That is scary to have had it in your house, and where you reach into multiple times a day! My heart goes out to the family that lost their daughter! Great job on the pics though, the colors are good. How did she kill it without making spider smash out of it? I don't think anything would of been left if I killed it (just to make sure it is dead LOL).

That is scary to have had it in your house, and where you reach into multiple times a day! My heart goes out to the family that lost their daughter! Great job on the pics though, the colors are good. How did she kill it without making spider smash out of it? I don't think anything would of been left if I killed it (just to make sure it is dead LOL).

My wife said all she had to do was spray it with some ant spray (Raid?) and it fell off the web and was dead in a couple of minutes.

I'd used a size 11 work boot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back