blissful sleep (C&C please)

onlinewoman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm new to the site, and semi-new to b/w photography, but would LOVE thoughts on this photo. I really like it, but as this is my grandchild, I'm afraid I'm too biased to make an adequate observation of all the particulars. Thoughts?

noah-blissful-sleep-850px.jpg

Beautiful shot and conversion...

Could you please share with us what Camera and lens you used... and the exif data? There is a ton of digital noise in the shot?

Cheers, joe

Yes Joe, the "noise" was something I couldn't put a finger on originally, though I actually thought it gave it a bit of an artistic softness.

Part of the problem though, is this was originally a color photo that I converted using Lightroom. After your comment I checked the Exif of the original and realized I'd shot this with an ISO of 800 (might explain some of the graininess?). I'm not sure why I used that setting as there was plenty of light coming in from the window. Regardless, here are the particulars on the original, and I've posted the original below.

Exposure: 1/125 @ f/4.0
ISO: 800
Flash: none
Lens 18.0 - 55.0 mm

I use a Canon Rebel; this photo was shot with a basic lens up to 55 mm.

When I converted this to black and white I was very concerned about getting a good contrast distinction between the black hair, and the lightness of the light streaming in from the window. Perhaps the contrast of the original is just not quite right for a b/w conversion?

blissful-color-650px.jpg

I know this sounds like an odd request but I am only trying to help. If you would like you can email me the full size file to [email protected] and let me play with it a little?

Maybe I can net better results and teach you what I did?

Cheers, Joe

Most reactions

Back