Blowing out whites

jaxx419

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can someone explain to me why I keep blowing out my whites when taking photos outside? I'm sure my aperture, ISO or shutter speed is messed up but which should I adjust first? I'm not using a flash or any gear other than my d5100. I shoot mainly in A and M modes. I'll post examples if needed when I can get to a computer.

Thanks!!
- edit-

http://m.flickr.com/photos/73913035@N06/6786927479/lightbox/

Ok, I've been around long enough to know that I need to post photos in the thread but I can't figure out how to grab the link from my phone. SO here is the link. I'm referring to the photo I took today (first one in the leaves) and in particular the blown out white fur. Though I'm sure the other photos have problems too.

Will post the actual photo tomorrow. I just saved the photo that I uploaded to my Facebook earlier on my phone and uploaded it to flicker so I'm sure the quality is off... Doesn't change my "white" issue though.

- edit 2-

Wow I DID have a lot of magenta.. looks much different on a large mac monitor. i changed it from vivid to neutral setting also. i still think her left front arm is too bright but haven't figured out how to fix it.

6791120741_ab465d1c7d.jpg

Last edited:
what settings are you using? If its bright your iso should be as low as possible (100). I then set my ap at what I want then adjust the shutterspeed until the meter reading is right. Sometimes my ss goes very high (less light gets through).

It's possible that the scene exceeds the dynamic range your sensor is capable of recording in one exposure... Post an example.

Blowing the white is not necessarily wrong.

First post a photo so we can really see what you are talking about. Otherwise it's all guesswork on our part.

Chances are that the dynamic range is just not there. Flash is used outside to exposure your subject properly and still keep your skies, etc in range for this very reason.

What do you set first? What do you need most? If you are shooting a running child you'd be worried about your shutter stopping their motion and having a wide enough depth of field to capture them. Most important would probably to stop their motion, so you start with a shutter speed that will achieve your first need. Your second need is a fair DOF... so you set an aperture that will meet that need. Then you meter and see where your exposure is... Overexposed? you can speed up your shutter or you can tighten down your aperture. Underexposed? You can raise your ISO...

Paige- when I have time to adjust the settings in manual they come out much better. Most my outside pics right now are of dogs (practicing) and they are fast! I don't have much time to adjust my settings much. Today I shot in aperture mode hoping my auto iso would be close being right.

Thanks for the link, I'll read over them and post pics tomorrow.

That's good yo know! Where I was today the lighting was constantly changing. We were under a lot of trees, in and out of open areas with sunshine!

If I can figure out how to grab the right link from this flicker app I will post a pic in a bit.

That's good yo know! Where I was today the lighting was constantly changing. We were under a lot of trees, in and out of open areas with sunshine!

If I can figure out how to grab the right link from this flicker app I will post a pic in a bit.

oh I hate that! We took our daughter out yesterday to play and she was in and out of the shade all my pics came out horrible :(

Blown out whites? All I get is a black screen.

The link was not quite working right...

Here is the picture:
6786927479_d1a97a4449_b.jpg

Hope you don't mind.

... Sigh ;(. I'll just try again tomorrow when I can get to a computer! Link works for me.

Most reactions

Back