Blown out sky. Options?

Rebekah5280

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a question on this picture here:

249743_207724839265385_100000836116771_537293_5535175_n.jpg

Is there a way to take a properly exposed shot of my subjects (people) without blowing out the sky? Or when taking a picture like this, should I take two pictures, one properly exposing the subject and another properly exposing the sky and then photoshop them together in post?

Using fill-flash is an easy way to bring the light level on the people "up" so that it matches the brightness of the sunlighted areas in the background. Using a LARGE reflector, like a 4x6 foot fabric stretched tightly on a PVC or wooden frame is another way, and that is called "reflector fill".

I tried a few different methods to get the sky and my subjects exposed correctly, (reflector, but it was small round, and fill flash) I'll have to go back over my pictures and see if I skipped over any good ones. Thank you for the tips. :)

Derrel is right about fill flash, but his answer leaves out a few things... If all you have is your on board flash or speedlight, you probably won't be able to bring the exposure level up to the background and still keep your shutter speed below sync speed. When your subjects are in the shade, it is a good idea to position them so that their background is also heavily shaded.

You just about need to be at f/13 or f/16 with a shutter speed at 1/200 at base ISO to not overexpose the sky on a bright, sunny day. The problem is, most people don't own a flash powerful enough to properly expose the subject at those camera settings. You can try putting your shutter speed at it's sync speed, ISO at it's base level, flash at full power, and adjust the aperture until your subject is properly exposed, but your sky will probably still be overexposed.

This is one of those cases where the photographer needs to recognize the situation, recognize the gear that they have available to them, know it's limitations, and avoid placing the subjects in a position that exceeds those limitations.

Typically I do not shoot against a sky, mainly because its blown everytime. But I want to learn!! I did notice when looking back through my pictures that there were a few that were better, but still overexposed. Thank you for the nudge in the right direction!!

My photography teacher said that its really hard to do, and to take the same picture, one exposing the subject and the other exposing for the sky and then PS them together in post. But my photography teacher has misguided me a lot in the past (as it seems), so I wanted to check to see if there were other options.

I iknow my gear has limitations, but more so, I have limitations due to my lack of photography experience/knowledge. But like I said, I want to learn to be better!

Shoot film 0_0

Jose Villa almost never seems to have a big problem with blown out skies, and he almost always shoots into the sun!

http://josevillablog.com/

All he does is shoot 400h@200 and expose for the shadows. It's not rocket science, smoke, or mirrors.

I tried a few different methods to get the sky and my subjects exposed correctly, (reflector, but it was small round, and fill flash)

You forgot something! What you had with you was an exellent bounce card. Expose for the background. Hold the reflector on your right behind you high up pointed to the subject. Turn flash to the reflector and bounce flash . I wasn't there so I couldn't tell you what you were limited to but it'd be easier if a 2nd person was there w/ you to hold the reflector.

Using fill-flash is an easy way to bring the light level on the people "up" so that it matches the brightness of the sunlighted areas in the background. Using a LARGE reflector, like a 4x6 foot fabric stretched tightly on a PVC or wooden frame is another way, and that is called "reflector fill".

+1 - you beat me too it.

Most reactions

Back