blue tint

derrick937

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im trying to learn how to shoot in manual, went to an old mental hospital and played around but a lot of what i took was blue ? i changed settings and retried, same blue tint, what am i missing here ? if i can figure out how to post picks i will try
D90
vr 55-300
78mm iso 200
1/1600 f4.5
incandesecant setting for cloudy condictions and indoor shots, tried with and without speed flash and bounced differant ways

032 by derrick937, on Flickr

Last edited:
adjust the temperature

Sounds like a White Balance issue. Try setting a custom WB (or shooting in RAW and trying to adjust it in post).

According to the EXIF:

Light Source : Tungsten

If you have a photo processing software like GIMP or Photoshop, you can edit this after the fact. Go to color balance and drag it away from blue until you get a less blue image.

But for the future...480Sparky got it right...tungsten will typically give you a blue tint.

Sounds like the issue has been explained, but I wanted to add some food for thought. It would probably serve you better to learn the basic settings and controls of a camera and how they factor into an image before trying to dive into Manual shooting. How can you expect to control a camera manually if you have no clue what in fact you are even trying to "control" ? Thats not meant to be insulting in any way, just meant to be a logical assessment.

Im trying to learn how to shoot in manual, went to an old mental hospital and played around but a lot of what i took was blue ? i changed settings and retried, same blue tint, what am i missing here ? if i can figure out how to post picks i will try
D90
vr 55-300
78mm iso 200
1/1600 f4.5
incandesecant setting for cloudy condictions and indoor shots, tried with and without speed flash and bounced differant ways
http://www.flickr.com/photos/derrick937/6420612313/
032 by derrick937, on Flickr

Typically a cloudy day is bluer than a non-cloudy day.... so there is a CLOUDY WB setting that adds a bit of warmth to take away some of the blue. By setting your WB to Incandescent (Tungsten).. you add a lot of blue, since it is designed to compensate for the yellow light that incandescent lights put out. Need to read up on your WB settings, apparently. have fun!

Here is a good white balance tutorial: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/white-balance.htm

Yep. I often set the white balance to incandescent when I make portraits outside, to give the ambient light a blue cast.

I then gel my strobed lighting so it is the color temperature of incandescent light, so the strobed light renders as white light in the photo.

Last edited:

Made the verticals plumb, corrected the white balance crudely, added a slight blue gradient to the sky.

6420612313_e7ce6dd0ac_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back