Bluetooth in camera's - Reckon it will take off?

Paul_the_6th

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.paulwilson.me.uk
Having been away from home since sunday, I've had alot of time to myself in between conferences (running all the technical stuff here in cambridge) thinking about random stuff. I've taken a couple of images and messed around a little bit. Each time I've gotten back to my room, i just think "i really cannot be arsed to get the card reader out, link it to my laptop, copy etc"

Now, my samsung R65 laptop has bluetooth and wifi built in so I've been sneaking onto the venue's network and surfing the net and copying stuff to and from my phone. I suddenly thought "what if my 350d had bluetooth? I could leave the card in, copy the images across to the comp wirelessly and bish bash bosh job done". When you're out in the field, its not always convenient to sit down and start messing around with cables.

I would be able to snap away, copy across, edit and upload to the net wire free throughout the whole process...

Does anyone reckon we might be seeing anything like this in the future? or will we have to wait for next gen bluetooth with better transfer speeds?

wondered what peoples opinions/idea's might be on this subject?

PT6^

Canon does make a wireless adapter for live downloading, but I do not think it works with all their models and I recall hear that it was slow. Also I believe Nikon has similar.

For consumer point-and-shoots, I think you're right that bluetooth might just be the wave of the future. Just like it did with cell phones, bluetooth makes data transmission a lot easier between the camera and computer because you can leave the camera in a bag or your pocket (if it's small enough), and download away. It's a pretty neat technology.

However, when you get into the DSLR world, bluetooth isn't going to cut it. The latest revision, bluetooth 2.0, can only transmit data at 2.1Mbit/s. Compare that with USB 2.0's 480Mbit/s, and you get a sense of how slow it is. The real way to go for the speedier cameras is Wi-Fi. The 802.11g standard (which is what most wifi is these days) can go at 25-54Mbit/s. And some DSLR manufacturers (e.g. Canon and Nikon) already make wifi transmitters for some of their cameras (I know there's one available for my 30D. Wireless does sound pretty cool, but when you get into the world of high-megapixel cameras with high-capacity cards in them, the speed begins to become quite a bottleneck.

Most reactions

Back