Sony A7 - Great Camera

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by sonicbuffalo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. sonicbuffalo

sonicbuffalo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I don't know what lens you are comparing....but the glass of the Trinity is much heavier than the weight of the glass I have now. As for camera, well, you go to the store and try them side by side. You're just not being accurate. When you put my 14-24 mm f/2.8 on my Nikon D610, it was very heavy and bulky as heck. You can't even put a lens filter on them because they're so bulbous. When you compare my Sony's 70-200 f/4 (granted I'm losing a little light) to the 70-200 f/2.8 VR II, there is absolutely no comparison.

If you want to think so, just keep feeding your head incorrect facts like you just did. I've had both and I know!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Personally I don't care what the video is like, I will never use it

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think you made a great decision.
    The mirrorless are smaller and lighter due to the design.

The f/2.8 lenses are large due to the aperture, and f/4s are smaller, then variables even smaller & lighter.

My 70-300 VRII f/4.5-5.6 is no comparison at 200mm to my 80-200/2.8 for light gathering. But it is a bunch lighter, and if used during the day time with proper ISO control is a great lens by comparison for weight and cost.

I never went for the 14-24/2.8 as I see no need for it. My 18-35 f/3.5-4.5 has all that I want right now and it takes regular 77mm filters and is light by comparison. I also made $$ choices, VR (need it or not ?), AFS or AFD or even AI-S, ... all can save $$ and weight.

Basically, I've selected the lens for what I want and saved on $$ and weight.

But the FullFrame choice to me has been the best one - dslr or mirrorless. The same conclusion you came up with.

In the end it's all about satisfaction and approach. So no one can go wrong with dslr or mirrorless.
    I do know though, that a mirrorless FF would help on my telescope front/rear weight balance and would help it track better (or course I could get off my lazy butt and balance it with weights too).

If Nikon comes out with a Mirrorless FF that accepts my current lenses that would simply be the cat's meow because I don't see ditching my dslr's anytime soon.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Usul

Usul No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I compare sony FE 70-200 f4 (840 g) and Nikon 70-200 f4 (850 g) or sony 28-70 f3.5-5.6 (295 g) and nikon 24-85 f3.5-4.5 (405 g). Sony just has no lenses to compete the Trinity. I guess you won't argue with this 'incorrect' facts. Will see maybe somtimes sony will introduce f2.8 zooms but I'm pretty sure they won't be much lighter than the nikon's ones.

5. Usul

Photos OK to edit
    You right but unfortunaly these lenses have no AF so many people (and me as well) don't consider them as a reall replacement for DSLR's AF lenses.

6. sonicbuffalo

Photos OK to edit
    Of course I won't argue that Sony has no full frame Trinity right now and i don't expect them to come out with a f/2.8. That would defeat the purpose of having lighter weight.​

7. sonicbuffalo

Photos OK to edit
    [h=2]Sony 70-200mm Features[/h]
    • Cutting edge optical technologies, including Nano AR Coating and Super ED and EDglass elements, combine to deliver performance befitting the G Lens label with aconstant F4 maximum aperture.
    • Compact and lightweight for enhanced handling and portability.
    • Focus hold button, focus range limiter, and panning mode switch give intermediate and advanced shooters extra control.
    • Optical SteadyShot image stabilization.
    • Removable tripod mount, dust and moisture resistant design.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Usul

Photos OK to edit

Okay, okay, relax man. Too much red.

9. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I know for one thing I need AF
    I did a photoshoot the other day and my eyes decided to whack out on me.
    If it wasn't for AF nothing probably would have turned out as well as it did.

10. sonicbuffalo

Photos OK to edit
    ok....no more red.....your point is well taken, but if you learn to use the camera and the lens, you won't have a problem. It's like anything else, the more you use it, the better you get. I just traded the weight and some light for a lighter backpack, which now has enough room for everything. When I had the Nikon Trinity, I had to yank the dividers out of the backpack to get all 3 lenses in, and even then it was tight. Now, I have more than enough room. As far as these conversations pretty much go.....everyone has a preference and no one thing is right for everyone all the time. Now, having said that, I will say one more thing, and I resist the red very reluctantly.....Sony charges too damn much for their lenses, but they are sharp.

11. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Don't need AF, MFis just as quick when you are used to it, I shoot Leica M cameras and I can shoot on the streets fast than anyone using AF

• Like Like x 1
  12. rexbobcat

rexbobcat Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

This point is irrelevant to the statement above.