Blurred Effects in a Photo

jclswv519

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm seriously trying to solve the mystery of how to do something with a photo! I've seen pictures by photographers in my area where they have the subject clear as crystal in the picture, but have the background blurred. I would LOVE to do this! I've heard another photographer say that it's a lens trick. Please, someone, point me in the right direction!

It's not just in the lens... you can use a larger aperture, move closer to subject, and/or use longer focal length... using a longer focal length and keeping the subject at the same size in your FOV doesn't really change the DOF but it will basically magnify the background making an out of focus area seem more blurry because it has been magnified and exaggerated.

So it depends on my f-number or aperture and how far away I am from the subject?

So it depends on my f-number or aperture and how far away I am from the subject?

As well as your camera and focal length used.

I'm understanding everything but focal length...what's that? Lol. Please forgive me as I'm just beginning!

I'm understanding everything but focal length...what's that? Lol. Please forgive me as I'm just beginning!

I guess you could call it the amount of zoom... Like 70mm, or 200mm etc.

It's a matter of using a very large f/ like 2.8 or faster if you can, but 3.5 can work if you are using a kit lens. Combined with how close (either through zoom or through physically being close) to your subject you are and how far from the background the subject is. There should be more distance between the subject and the background than there is between the camera and the subject.

If you have a bridge camera or a point and shoot it is harder to attain because the sensor is so small in them that it results in much more being in focus than a DSLR does.

It's a matter of using a very large f/ like 2.8 or faster if you can, but 3.5 can work if you are using a kit lens. Combined with how close (either through zoom or through physically being close) to your subject you are and how far from the background the subject is. There should be more distance between the subject and the background than there is between the camera and the subject.

If you have a bridge camera or a point and shoot it is harder to attain because the sensor is so small in them that it results in much more being in focus than a DSLR does.

Thanks for this advice! Thanks to everyone else too! I currently have a Nikon L100, and I guess that's what most people call a bridge camera. I'm ordering my D3100 on Monday. The D5000 has came recommended, but the D3100 has better reviews and ratings on every site that I've found. Looking forward to getting it!!! It will, of coarse, come with the kit 18-55 lens, but I was also considering a 55-200 for sometime in the future. Are either of these decent for DOF or does lens choice matter?

Lens choice definitely matters and imo, usual 55-200 is just a zoom kit lens and as you shoot, you'll understand what I mean.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back