Blurry Photos

There are Meetup.com groups for just about anything but the unpleasant reality is that, like piano playing, it is you that works the buttons and you that has to do the practice.

There are gazillions of people who want to take pictures and part of the sorting out is for you to do some work yourself.
It's not like the information isn't around. You have a manual, there are lots of books.
It's up to you to learn.
When you show that you've put some work in, you'll have a better chance of finding a mentor.

Lew

The advantage of a book is that it has a lot of related information all in one place.

Information on the web tends to be all over the place, in bits and pieces, and many aren't capable of putting all the bits and pieces together into a coherent, understandable sequence.

I provide more links to some of those internet bits and pieces than just about anyone here at TPF, but I also recommend quite a few books too.

Digital Photography Tutorials

Here are some bits and pieces in book form - Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are Meetup.com groups for just about anything but the unpleasant reality is that, like piano playing, it is you that works the buttons and you that has to do the practice.

There are gazillions of people who want to take pictures and part of the sorting out is for you to do some work yourself.
It's not like the information isn't around. You have a manual, there are lots of books.
It's up to you to learn.
When you show that you've put some work in, you'll have a better chance of finding a mentor.

Lew

Ive been trying to learn for over two years now and Ive gotten no where...
My point is I learn better in a group setting.

Books also have the huge advantage of functioning just about everywhere. I've been in airports, off-the-beaten-path hotels, and out in the boonies with time to kill, so a book comes out. No batteries, no innernets connection, no lecktrickery.

Books also have the huge advantage of functioning just about everywhere. I've been in airports, off-the-beaten-path hotels, and out in the boonies with time to kill, so a book comes out. No batteries, no innernets connection, no lecktrickery.

True! I just finished Nursing school... I carried my books everywhere! I guess I need to get to looking for Photography books and carrying those everywhere!

seriously.. dont bother buying books. So many great links on the internet for FREE.

For the love of all that is holy, listen to this man!!! There is nothing in a book that you can't find on YouTube!
Hell, I just learned how to perform open heart surgery on myself while learning to play guitar. Thanks YouTube!

In all seriousness though, every tutorial resource that you will ever need is free on the internet. Give me a minute and I'll provide you with a fw links.

To be fair, anything online can be saved. If you don't have a smart phone, or a laptop, or a tablet, than you can most certainly print out written tutorials.

To be fair, anything online can be saved. If you don't have a smart phone, or a laptop, or a tablet, than you can most certainly print out written tutorials.

True, it there's no copyright laws involved. And want to pay a premium for paper, ink, plus wear & tear on your printer. I'm not a fan of printing out a 1,200-page book.

True, it there's no copyright laws involved. And want to pay a premium for paper, ink, plus wear & tear on your printer. I'm not a fan of printing out a 1,200-page book.

What copyright law disallows you to print free tutorials? I'm not talking about printing out the 50 shades of gray trilogy.
I'm talking about printing free, 10-20 page tutorials for yourself.

I also have no idea why wear and tear of a printer was brought up.
If you don't own a printer, you can have things printed for very cheap, around 4 cents a sheet.

Copyright owners have the exclusive right to make copies.

Exclusive right means, anyone else has to get permission from the copyright owner to make copies.

Visit U.S. Copyright Office and read the FAQs.
What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf -

Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to authorize others to do the following:
• reproduce the work in copies....

You'll find the specifics of Section 106 here - http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.pdf

I also have no idea why wear and tear of a printer was brought up......

Well, truth be told..... when your printer is used, it costs you money. Money (and time...) you could spend on a book instead.

I also have no idea why wear and tear of a printer was brought up......

Well, truth be told..... when your printer is used, it costs you money. Money (and time...) you could spend on a book instead.

While going through a certain background investigation for a civil service job, I have printed well over 400 pages of documents that I need to bring with me. Hasn't put much of a dent in my ink level. At less than 1 cent a page, I spent probably 5 dollars total.

This however, is beyond my point. Like, way far beyond my point and an extreme end of the spectrum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back