BMX shots

first shot is def my fave.. i love the sky and the strobing

First one is excellent...
Question, light or strobe? How did you focus? Seems like the subject is in the light for only a fraction of a second.
I dont often shoot at night, especially sports with a small area of light.

Care to explain your ways?

The first one is also my favorite...The sky is amazing

Well, one of the keys to good night time BMX/Skate photography is to underexpose the photo by a few stops and balance it with the strobe, so your subject is perfectly exposed but your background is dark so it doesn't discract the viewer, SO it wasn't actually as dark as it looks in the photos.

I was using an SB-600 off camera held by a friend, so 50% of the credit goes to him ;).

And I focused by focusing on the ramp around there I thought the riders would be, and if I misjudged then I'd fix it later in photoshop.

Seems like the subject is in the light for only a fraction of a second.

Aye, about 1/700 I think...

Last edited:
shot numer 1 is my favorite. luv the use of flash when some daylight is still out. the sky fills that background that i forget about the distracting fence.

Very nice shots...the only thing I would do is play with the crops...

Just an example...#1- croping your subject with just the sky, gives the feeling of "flight" more...

bmxedit.jpg

i like the original better. on the cropped one theres no sence of height, angle and and ramp trick.

Excellent pictures, number 1 and 2 are my favourite. i hope to get into this type of photography, when i have learnt more about my camera and of course photography (only just got a DSLR a few weeks ago). Also i would have to agree with sandshots, i think cropping the picture ruins the sense of height.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back