Body And Soul

Very nice except the back of her hair

I've come back to this one a couple of times, trying to figure out why I don't much like it. Technically it's fine, she's very lovely and you did a pretty nice job with her. The light is not particularly dramatic, but it's quite nice.

What makes it not really work for me is the background - it has too many colors that are too similar in color to her colors, and it's a little too busy for my taste.

Her hair could have been styled more neatly, but to be honest, I like girls a little messy.

I've come back to this one a couple of times, trying to figure out why I don't much like it. Technically it's fine, she's very lovely and you did a pretty nice job with her. The light is not particularly dramatic, but it's quite nice.

What makes it not really work for me is the background - it has too many colors that are too similar in color to her colors, and it's a little too busy for my taste.

Her hair could have been styled more neatly, but to be honest, I like girls a little messy.

Some interesting observations by amolitor. What I think is holding this one back a bit is the exact placement of her EYES within the space of the frame; she's got too little space to look "into", and too much space "behind" her; that type of placement causes unpleasant visual tension, unpleasant "thoughts", or "projections onto the subject", in many,many people. I'd go so far as to say it might not be a learned or enculturated response, but a built-in human response. The placement of the frame around her is just simply not "pleasant", but is instead "disconcerting". I mean, look at the elements: beautiful woman, lovely hair, great skin color, harmonizing background...and yet...the picture does not immediately attract like a magnet to steel...it's more like two magnets approaching one another...

A trial crop (on my monitor) that eliminates a lot of space on the right hand side changes this shot quite a bit.

I don't like the rolled (hunched over) shoulders. The rolled shoulders also have the effect of bringing her eyes too close to the left hand side of the frame, which is problematic for the reasons derrell pointed out.
I'd also like to see her shoulders turned towards the camera just a bit more. Also as gorgeous as her eyes are, I'd like to see one with her looking into the camera with catchlights.

I don't mind the hair either. I don't know why people care so much about perfect hair. Hair moves!

The hair is not what "bothers" me about this photo, but yes, it is the shoulders! They are too rolled forward, she thus looks like she'd just been slapped - now if a "deepness" was meant to show here, some deep thinking, deep feeling, then my feeling says that this goal wasn't reached. She looks reprimanded, or - well, like I said - slapped, somehow.
(I'm sorry, I cannot critique portraits other than what feelings and thoughts they give to me).

OP, you should have posted both images. I think the other one is better. The shoulders are back more and she is looking in a different direction. (I saw it from clicking on the image to enlarge it.)

OP, you should have posted both images. I think the other one is better. The shoulders are back more and she is looking in a different direction. (I saw it from clicking on the image to enlarge it.)

Yeah, out of the 3 he took of her, the one he posted here seems by far the weakest. I thought both of the others were better by a good margin.

Stunning model though. Pretty close to my personal idealized version of female beauty.

1 Each style is made up of mistakes
2 Perfection is in the imperfection
3 Purpose of art is to give the impression
4 There are two kinds of people 1 Those who have a positive view.
2 Those who watch negative.
3 The choice is yours
Thanks a lot...

I really really like it! I wouldn't change anything!

1 Each style is made up of mistakes
2 Perfection is in the imperfection
3 Purpose of art is to give the impression
4 There are two kinds of people 1 Those who have a positive view.
2 Those who watch negative.
3 The choice is yours
Thanks a lot...

These galleries are primarily so that people can give feedback on how to help improve your photography. If you just want people to say 'hey, good job!' try 500px.com

Most reactions

New Topics

Back