Body Suggestion

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a "well used" D610 for $484 with 56,000 clicks on it?

I called them and the guy told me it has “some scratches” and that his opinion is that it would have been rated GOOD but that because a little rubber piece is starting to come loose near where your thumb sits, that he seems to think that’s why it was knocked down to “well used”

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy a "well used" D610 for $484 with 56,000 clicks on it?

I called them and the guy told me it has “some scratches” and that his opinion is that it would have been rated GOOD but that because a little rubber piece is starting to come loose near where your thumb sits, that he seems to think that’s why it was knocked down to “well used”

The D610 is a fine camera, but it all depends on how you personally handle buyer's remorse. If you buy the D610, and it works fine, would you be haunted by not going after a D750 or D7200? Would you be able to concentrate on improving your photography knowledge and skills without buyer's remorse?

The D610 is a fine camera, but it all depends on how you personally handle buyer's remorse. If you buy the D610, and it works fine, would you be haunted by not going after a D750 or D7200? Would you be able to concentrate on improving your photography knowledge and skills without buyer's remorse?

I go back and forth with "Oh it's tax season, I'll have X number of dollars to spend on X date" and "I need to be thrifty and just be happy with this nice camera I only spent $500 on."
While I tend to shoot for the upper range of my budget, I can't spend $1000 on a body. It's just not prudent. If I shot professionally, sure I'd get the latest and greatest but I'm a single dad on a budget who wants to shoot for fun and MAYBE the occasional portrait session.
And in the off chance that I want to branch into weddings again, the 610 is more the capable.

My decision isn't which body to buy, I've decided on the 610. The question really is do I want to buy a "well used" camera? My initial thought is "eww its dirty don't touch it" but then my second more rational thought is "If it works great, who cares if it's got scratches on the case and a little rubber peeling off. You can glue that back on"

If you are comfortable with that, why not? 56k shots is well under the expected life of the shutter, and you can probably fix the loose part yourself.

On the other hand, if you want to have more confidence in that camera by sending it to Nikon for a checkup, you should be ready to pay $150 plus shipping (as I recall) plus any repairs that Nikon thinks should be done. That extra cost is something you may want to consider. If you do send it in, it will come back looking great, and probably working great as well.

Rent one for a few days. Then decide how long you want to live with that camera.

Is there a story here or was it a general statement about any camera?

Just a suggestion. I like many cameras but am picky about daily use. Having it in my hands for a few days tells me if I can live with it. There are some great cameras I just cannot live with and that's how I found out the answer.

Ended up with a nice 610 and a 50mm 1.8
Spent some time playing with it today. I’m hooked

Reactions: D7K

Most reactions

Back