Bogen/Manfrotto Tripod

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm sick of using my dad's old tripod. The "clamps" on one leg which keep the legs out had broken and now I have to do the best I can to keep it upright.

I'm upgrading to a D300 from my D80 after Christmas and want to upgrade my tripod as well. I want to go with Bogen because I have a 679 Monopod and want to be able to use the same quick release. I have looked on their website at all the tripods. Are there any favorites. I wouldn't be using anything more than a 70 or 80-200 2.8 (I mainly use the monpod if I use that lens) and the camera.

Is there a system to the numbers they use to name the tripods. I believe I have decided to use a ball head on the tripod. Wow, I really like the pan/tilt method, but it just gets old after a while.

As far a price, I'm looking to keep it near $200. Over or under $20-30 wouldn't really matter and less than $100 for the head. Is there a way I can tell it it has a level on it? I'm really looking forward to having one that does. It seems as though, the higher end tripods are using different materials (carbon fiber, plastic) or just the overall configuration is different from model to model, and the price is adjusted accordingly. Looking some more, I see that they are the same model, just a different head. Hmm.....there are so many configurations

I looked at the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/523085-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto__055XDB_Tripod_Legs_Black_.html

I like the head on that and the wing nut type deal on loosing up the legs

~Michael~

Last edited:
I was looking at some new Manfrotto legs in the 190 series. It was really neat in that the centre column can very easily be turned horizontal, allowing you to get the tripod very low to the ground.

I was looking at some new Manfrotto legs in the 190 series. It was really neat in that the centre column can very easily be turned horizontal, allowing you to get the tripod very low to the ground.

Thanks Mike. I haven't looked at those yet. Now, how exactly does that work. I have read and re read what you said about it turning, but can't picture it in my head.

~Michael~

You might also try e-bay. I have an older bogen 3021 which I love and I got it cheap with a gitzo magnesium head for combined price well under $200. A tripod is pretty tough to screw up. I have a little spirit level which fits right into my hot-shoe.

It supports my 30D with a 100-300mm f4 and TC with no problem whatsoever.

That a similar head to one that I want. Some on B&H were way too tall. I like the shorter ball heads.

~Michael~

I have the 055XPROB legs that do what Big Mike says for the 190s. Also have the 488RC4 and 322RC2 heads. Both are good.

My next set of legs will definetly be CF or MF or what ever they call it then. But that could be a while.... these legs are pretty stout.

CF: Carbon Fiber right? What's MF?

That 488 looks really nice. Expensive though. If it's worth it, I'll keep looking at it more and more and finally convince myself to get it. It's nice that it has the levels in the head. How is that grip style ball head. How accurate are they to adjust? I haven't had a chance to really play with one like that and though the normal heads, like the 488 one.

~Michael~

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.bogentripodparts.com/tripods/images/055XPROB.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bogentripodparts.com/tripods.htm&usg=__H6HtvBCbNOWzc9Z95MS0vZGNoMA=&h=1000&w=1000&sz=48&hl=en&start=91&um=1&tbnid=mk5Z-pR1NGliqM:&tbnh=149&tbnw=149&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbogen%2B055XproB%26start%3D84%26ndsp%3D21%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7SUNA%26sa%3DN

Heres a link to the horizontal center column featured on the Bogen 055XproB legs. I have the Bogen O55MF3, which is basically the magfiber (MF) or carbon fiber version.
I also use the 322RC2 grip ballhead. This head works fantastic for me, and I put alot of weight on it regularly. I shoot with my Canon 40D with grip, Sigma 50-500 (4 pounds) lens, battery grip on the 40D, 86mm Circulare polarizer and sometimes my 580 EX flash mounted on camera as well. Never had any creep or movement out of the head. Rock solid, easy to use and it does have a bubble level as well.

Derrick

Yes, that is what I was talking about. Basically, you pull the column all the way up, then it pivots 90 degrees and slides back into the hinge, which holds it horizontally. With the column out of the way, you can spread the legs right out and get very close to the ground.

And those magnesium heads...they are cool (but expensive). They look like cast iron and you think they will weigh 5 pounds...but when you pick it up, it is a light as a marshmallow.

If you can, I'd suggest going into a well stocked camera store, so that you can see & try this stuff out. Tripods and heads all do the same basic thing, so the differences really come down to personal preference.

And those magnesium heads...they are cool (but expensive). They look like cast iron and you think they will weigh 5 pounds...but when you pick it up, it is a light as a marshmallow.

Well, my marshmallow weighs a bit over 2 lbs., I believe. The total weight with my Bogen legs is about 8 lbs. My Gitzo head lists for over $200, but I got it on ebay for about $80. I love it -- very smooth and reliable.

Last edited:
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7SUNA&sa=N

Heres a link to the horizontal center column featured on the Bogen 055XproB legs. I have the Bogen O55MF3, which is basically the magfiber (MF) or carbon fiber version.
I also use the 322RC2 grip ballhead. This head works fantastic for me, and I put alot of weight on it regularly. I shoot with my Canon 40D with grip, Sigma 50-500 (4 pounds) lens, battery grip on the 40D, 86mm Circulare polarizer and sometimes my 580 EX flash mounted on camera as well. Never had any creep or movement out of the head. Rock solid, easy to use and it does have a bubble level as well.

Derrick

That's pretty cool right there. I sometimes find myself wanting to get closer to the groud, expecially shooting waterfalls and want to almost get right on the groud, but can't get the composition right off the tripod.

Big Mike said:
If you can, I'd suggest going into a well stocked camera store, so that you can see & try this stuff out. Tripods and heads all do the same basic thing, so the differences really come down to personal preference.

I don't really have a good stocked camera store around here to try these out. I used to work at Wolf Camera in a very upscale mall, but they never had the Bogen/Manfrotto tripods. Mainly the Quantarray ones. I will try the other one right up the road and see if they have a larger selection.

Big Mike said:
..They look like cast iron and you think they will weigh 5 pounds...but when you pick it up, it is a light as a marshmallow.

That's what I thought they were made of at first, but I have never felt one, so I wouldn't have known the difference.

Big Mike said:
This is the one I'm talking about. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

It only weighs 9.9 oz and is smooth like butter.

That one looks pretty neat. It's small and looks lightweight. Sure do wish the price wasn't $200. If I could swing it, I would get something like that.

~Michael~

iflynething,
so what setup did you finally decide on?

i don't mean to hijack your thread, i just thought i'd go along instead of starting a new thread since i'm also in the market for tripod and decided to go with bogen/manfrotto brand. after lots of reading, i'm gonna jump on 190XPROB legs and still not sure which ball head i'm going to get, 486RC2 or 488RC2. i read that most of you are happy with either one, but i just want to know how come the price on 488RC2 is almost double from 486RC2. what is the main difference or advantage of 488RC2 compare to 486RC2?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back