Bogen Tripod/Head setup

junray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
As long as your gear is under 17.6 lbs...I don't see a problem.

I don't know if this helps but I'm using the 488rc2 with the 3021 BPRO and I love it. Of course its my first tripod so there's nothing for me to compare to.

It looks like the only difference between the RC2 and RC4 is weight capacity.

Dunno if this will help either, but I just got the 322RC2 head for my 190XPROB and absolutely love it. The legs are cool in that it switches from vertical to horizontal w/o removing the center column completely. I went with the smaller model for the carrying weight, plus none of my gear surpass 6lbs as of yet.

The 488 series are all identical. The RC bit is just which camera mount it has on top. I wanted to buy the 488RC4 but when I found out they only had the RC0 instock I cared little enough that I didn't even want to wait the 3-5 days it takes to order one in. I also bought the older 055PROB legs (not the XPROB) because I got it at a $40 discount as they were trying to get rid of it.

So basically I have nearly the same setup and I love it. The legs you have have the wonderful advantage of not having to remove the centre column when rotating the shaft into the horizontal position (which you use a lot when macroing), and the head has a different clip but who cares.

The ball itself is a bit of a pain at times if you're trying to frame something exactly but my friend's 488 head isn't so I'm going to put it down to being new and not broken in enough. It still needs a bit of force to get moving.

Seriously though that's a hell of a tripod and I suggest you think twice before buying if you're the type who hikes to the top of mountains with your camera. It's is an incredibly sturdy platform but damn heavy.

Thanks guys for the info. Although I will not be using the tripod on any hike. You guys really think that the tripod combo, about 7 lbs, really that heavy? I have a friend who own an old version 3021, replaced by 055, w/3265 grip and I thought it wasn't that heavy. Anyway, this will be use for on location portrait and weddings.

I was thinking of getting the 190XPROB but wasn't sure if it's sturdy. Also, I was contemplating on either the 322RC2 and 488RC4 head. The problem is that there is no local store that I could check this gear out. They either have one or the other.

Anyway, thank for the input.

JR

The 190XPROB is fairly strong. A little flex at full extension due to the nature of the thin aluminum, but that is to be expected. I couldn't splurge for the 055MF4 Carbon model (yet) but wanted the lighter carying weight. I have no worries about leaving my gear unattended from time to time. Haven't experienced high winds as of yet, but would probably strap my bag to the center post if need be. The 322RC2 is great for nature stuff. I photograph a lot of birds and wildlife so it is able to swing around on the fly and lock practically instantaneously.

Mind you the full extension is taller than i am. And I'm tall. I can't see into the view finder at full extension. With just the legs extended and the centre shaft still comfortably in place this thing is rock solid.

As for weight it is pretty light, until you have to carry it. The few lb may not be much but it depends what you do with it. I take mine up mountains, through cities, and all over the place and after about 20 min it does get VERY heavy.

Mind you the full extension is taller than i am. And I'm tall. I can't see into the view finder at full extension. With just the legs extended and the centre shaft still comfortably in place this thing is rock solid.

As for weight it is pretty light, until you have to carry it. The few lb may not be much but it depends what you do with it. I take mine up mountains, through cities, and all over the place and after about 20 min it does get VERY heavy.

I've got the exact setup as you stated in the begining on this thread. Garbz is correct, it's taller than I am (5'-10"), heavier than I anticipated, but it want move! Solid. You can adjust the legs and center column to fit your height. The weight will require fitness. I love the ball head (my first).

I paid $168 for legs & $112 for ball head plus shipping (USD).

Most reactions

Back