What's new

bokeh problems

xenocide

TPF Noob!
Joined
Dec 1, 2009
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I have been trying to create some good bokeh photos but they keep coming out with problems.

I use a Pentax K-01 lens and a Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Lens.

The lens cost about $600 and I would expect the quality of the bokeh to be good.

However I get shots like the one attached which I shot at f/2.8 100 ISO 50mm 1/8s

They are not as soft as I would like and seem to have circular lines throughout...

HELP!
 

Attachments

  • $IMGP5171-1.webp
    $IMGP5171-1.webp
    54.5 KB · Views: 133
"Bokeh" is something over which you have almost no control; it is what it is. The rendering is a result of a number of factors: Of prime importance are the number of aperture blades; the greater the number (generally) the more attractive the background rendering. In addition of course is the actual aperture used, the focal length of the lens and the distance to the background. Some lenses have great bokeh, some have not so great, some have downright ugly (Search the term, "Rolled condom bokeh").
 
Tbh, I don't find your broken circles all that ugly. Not much onion peel and they're pretty good circles.

even though it is out of focus, composition still plays a part. Also, keep in mind, 2.8 is nice, but 1.8 or 1.4 is more favorable
 
I agree. From a purely objective standpoint, those balls look good.

bokeh though is really a myth. and there are lots of cheap lenses that have terrible, misshapen balls but yet can still get it's bokeh on. While some lens design will naturally lend itself to smoother OOF region with a good sense of separation, I don't think buying a modestly expensive lens will guarantee "good bokeh". In this lens, what you're paying more for is a fixed, relatively wide aperture in a wide to medium focal length, and probably bokeh wasn't the primary objective.

If you wanted better bokeh, a nifty fifty 1.7 would have been a better choice for far less money.

Still. There's really no reason to be insecure. Your balls are just fine.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom