Books Books Books

rub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Last fall I purchased my first DSLR camera, a Nikon D80. Yes, it was beyond what I needed, but I had decided to pursue something that I wanted, and I had the cash, so I figured, why not.

Over the past few months, I have been very snap happy. I have come out with some fantastic shots, lots of ok shots, and a whole bunch of junk. Sometimes I try a shot and it works. Sometimes the good ones are pure luck.

Recently I have been sharing some of my photos online, and I have had an overwhelming response. People are encouraging me to pursue photography as a business, rather than a hobbie.

Of course,having a response like that is great, but I feel like I have sooo much to learn. So, as a birthday gift, I am going to purchase a few books so I can feel more comfortable with my camera and the results.

The 4 books I am planning on buying are:
1) Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera
2) Understanding Digital Photography: Techniques for Getting Great Pictures
3) Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography
4) Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography

All of these books are by Bryan Peterson.

Would this be a good start? Are there any other books I should consideras well?

Thanks in advance for your input.

number 1 looks like the book that is recommended a lot here.

I don't know about the others. I use internet a lot.

Get them used through amazon. I just paid 25 at barnes and nobles yesterday for understanding exposure. Could have go tit for like 10 used in great condition via amazon. Live and learn i suppose

Hi rub,
I own all four and they are all good...
Don't forget to check all the material there is online and practice a lot

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks everyone!

I would also get something on Photoshop (or PS Element), or whatever software you will use for post-processing. You can find used PS books at half-price bookstores for less then half price :)

Good idea Mystwalker. I guess that brings about another question....

I know there different versions of Photoshop, but what should I be looking for?

ANSEL ADAMS 'THE NEGATIVE'. 'THE CAMERA' and 'THE PRINT' have lots of good information but 'The Negative' has become my photographic Bible. I would recommend it to anyone striving to truly understand photography and to learn the craft to the point where technical facility no longer hinders creative vision.

Thanks walrath, I will pick that up as well.

I would also look into buying "The Digital Photography Book" volume 1 and 2, by Scott Kelby, volume 1 is all about easy techniques, without all the technical hubub.

I heard the course offered by proud photgraphy is good and not very expensive. Check out photography videos online as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back