BOOKS!!!!

Shafty

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
500px.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Which books would you guys recommend to read as a beginner?

Last edited:
Typically when this question is asked you'll get a recommendation for Petersen's book Understanding Exposure. So as not to embarrass someone I'll get this thread started by saying, don't read that worthless book. It's full of too many errors. For one the author doesn't understand exposure.

Joe

P.S. Realizing that it would be good if I had something constructive to suggest I just went to Amazon and searched on Photography books. I'm on page 7 and I got nothing. Lord help me Photography has turned into Fauxtography!!

So some good authors from the past:
Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Last edited:
I prefer the older John Hedgcoe books. Many used ones can be had for under a buck, used on Amazon. They refer to film but all the info is in there as it applies to photography.

Amazon.com: john hedgecoe - Used

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Typically when this question is asked you'll get a recommendation for Petersen's book Understanding Exposure. So as not to embarrass someone I'll get this thread started by saying, don't read that worthless book. It's full of too many errors. For one the author doesn't understand exposure.

Joe

P.S. Realizing that it would be good if I had something constructive to suggest I just went to Amazon and searched on Photography books. I'm on page 7 and I got nothing. Lord help me Photography has turned into Fauxtography!!

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker
And yet it has constantly been a best sell with stellar reviews with the reviewers praising the book and how it improved their photography. Go figure.

OP The First Book to Read.
rtfm yoda.jpg

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

I that book quoted as as a must read and some people have said as you have that is not correct.
The PS is the problem I ran into, after searching for books I couldn't decide which was bullshit and which were good.
Thank you for the suggestions

I prefer the older John Hedgcoe books. Many used ones can be had for under a buck, used on Amazon. They refer to film but all the info is in there as it applies to photography.

He seems to give you the theory/principal of photography, Thanks for that I'll be looking into this

And yet it has constantly been a best sell with stellar reviews with the reviewers praising the book and how it improved their photography. Go figure.

View attachment 141442

Not gonna lie, I've read it partially then just watched a youtube video on it.

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

More photos are taken with an iphone than any other camera.
Donald Trump was elected president.
One third of Texans believe dinosaurs and humans lived at the same time.

Do you need a longer list?

Joe

View attachment 141442

Which books are would you guys recommend to read as a beginner?
1. Read and understand your user's manual. Became familiar with the main sections so when you have to look something up, you can get right to it. If you have questions, ask here. You will get better response if you limit your questions to one or two. Keep your manual with you when you leave home. You can download a PDF onto your phone, or carry the paper copy in your bag. Same for the flash manual.

2. Read books on art composition. Without naming a specific book, I mean you should get as much art as you can get. Don't buy these expensive books but rather borrow them from your public library. Art composition doesn't change much over the years.

3. Sorry to say, but most photography-specific books aren't worth reading, let alone buying. You will be exposed to all kinds of photography theory on the internet, some of which is valuable and accurate.

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Joe

View attachment 141442
You have got to get over you measure bating problem, or write your own book then.

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Joe

View attachment 141442
You have got to get over you measure bating problem, or write your own book then.

I suggested some good authors. Just trying to be helpful to the OP. Would you suggest the OP read incorrect information?

Joe

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Joe

View attachment 141442

I suggested some good authors. Just trying to be helpful to the OP. Would you suggest the OP read incorrect information?

Joe
Incorrect is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the reader. It seems to work for many, many people. Results are what matters.

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Joe

View attachment 141442

Joe
Incorrect is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the reader. It seems to work for many, many people. Results are what matters.

I see. Here's a direct quote from Understanding Exposure: "The depth of field in close-up photography extends one-fourth in front of and one-half beyond the focused subject, while in regular photography the depth of field is distributed one-third in front of and two-thirds beyond the subject." (pg.66)

I'm really interested to hear your explanation of how 1/4 + 1/2 = 1. When you get that explained I'd like additional explanations; for starters he's saying that DOF distribution is increasingly disproportional in close-up photography -- news to me, please explain. Feel to free to call Kellyanne for help.

Joe

Joe

Davis (Phil)
Stroebel
Hedgecoe
Blaker

Joe

View attachment 141442

Joe

I see. Here's a direct quote from Understanding Exposure: "The depth of field in close-up photography extends one-fourth in front of and one-half beyond the focused subject, while in regular photography the depth of field is distributed one-third in front of and two-thirds beyond the subject." (pg.66)

I'm really interested to hear your explanation of how 1/4 + 1/2 = 1. When you get that explained I'd like additional explanations; for starters he's saying that DOF distribution is increasingly disproportional in close-up photography -- news to me, please explain. Feel to free to call Kellyanne for help.

Joe
Sorry, but measure bating over triviality is your fetish. The concept that this is a book for bare bones beginners eludes you.

I'll second this recommendation, I've obtained several of his books, including a later one on "The Art Of Digital Photography". While he covers some of the nuts and bolts of basic exposure, more importantly he helps you understand how to go from snapshot to a photograph.

YES, I have been recommending the various Hedgecoe books for years now. They have good illustrations and charts and are wonderful TEACHING books! There are 32 titles to choose from. Ignore the film references (unless using film!): you now have multiple "films" in every digital camera...through post processing and ISO switching! photography basics have not changed much from film to the digital capture era: his lessons are timeless.

His illutrations and clear text are fantastic LEARNING tools!

OP, the best books are the ones you find useful. There are tons of books out there, far more than is financially obtainable for most. The best thing to do is go to your public library, or to Libraries Ireland and find the photography book(s) that interest you and borrow them. If you find a book or two that you really like then those are the ones to buy for you personal collection.

For me The Camera, The Negative and The Print by Ansel Adams are all on my shelf. As an long time film shooter I have an appreciation for those books that modern day digital shooters would not have. Light Science & Magic is another one in my collection. Understanding light and using light, all forms of light, is essential to the photographer as well as The Moment it Clicks by Joe McNally. My McNally collection also includes Sketching Light: An Illustrated Tour of the Possibilities of Flash. I have The Art of Photography by Bruce Barnbaum as well as Monte Zucker's Portrait Photography Handbook.

Another one that might be useful to the beginner is Light and Lens: Photography in the Digital Age by Robert Hirsch.

The point is, there are a lot of resources out there. Some you will like or find useful, others you won't. You need to find what works for you and as I said, the public library is a good place to start since it can be quite a money saver.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back