Booted and Suited - Comments welcome

OrbitalJosh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got these boots, thoughts? On the photo that is.

$IMG_1812.JPG

If you aren't keen, please explain why.

The lighting is rather harsh, and it looks like you really worked it in post to compensate.

As far as artistic critique... all I see is a pair of boots. There's not really a story. If they were laying in a heap, abandoned in an alley- that would tell a story. Right now they are just sitting on a table.

I understand. To be honest I'm meant to be in school today but the suspension collapsed in the car so I got a day off. I took them outside just to take a quick pic and messed around with it in PhotoShop so there wasn't much consideration with the lighting. After Christmas I'll be getting out 'in the field', maybe even with a model or two if anyone would volunteer, with the DSLR I'm getting. Thanks for your comment.

I understand. To be honest I'm meant to be in school today but the suspension collapsed in the car so I got a day off. I took them outside just to take a quick pic and messed around with it in PhotoShop so there wasn't much consideration with the lighting. After Christmas I'll be getting out 'in the field', maybe even with a model or two if anyone would volunteer, with the DSLR I'm getting. Thanks for your comment.

Dont they have buses in Newcastle they did last time i was there

Dont they have buses in Newcastle they did last time i was there

I'd tell you the story about the dis functionality of the buses in my area but you aren't worth the time. Sorry.

This shot brings back memories of Peter Boyle dancing to "Putting on the Ritz" in "Young Frankenstein." It must be the high polish!

I'll have to take a photo of my work boots. used and abused. They could tell a story.

why does every photograph have to tell some sort of compelling "story" to just be a good picture of something?
why cant it just be an interesting picture of something, without having to have some "deeper meaning"?
its a pair of boots on a table, and i doubt it was taken in an attempt to inspire some deep emotional reaction.

now, as for the picture, I think the lighting is indeed, too harsh. with too much reflection from the boots.
im not really a fan of composite or B&W, so i would fancy this picture better in color, with much softer lighting. maybe with a tablecloth to keep the glass from reflecting so much light as well. with the lighting, and the processing, you dont really get much contrast with the black boots from the rest of the scent. good attempt though. just adjust your lighting, go easy on the processing, and try again.

why does every photograph have to tell some sort of compelling "story" to just be a good picture of something?
why cant it just be an interesting picture of something, without having to have some "deeper meaning"?
its a pair of boots on a table, and i doubt it was taken in an attempt to inspire some deep emotional reaction.

now, as for the picture, I think the lighting is indeed, too harsh. with too much reflection from the boots.
im not really a fan of composite or B&W, so i would fancy this picture better in color, with much softer lighting. maybe with a tablecloth to keep the glass from reflecting so much light as well. with the lighting, and the processing, you dont really get much contrast with the black boots from the rest of the scent. good attempt though. just adjust your lighting, go easy on the processing, and try again.

While I agree with what you're saying, the posting of a photo with the request for comments implies that they were going for something more than a picture of a pair of boots.
That's how I see it at any rate.

I like what you were going for here. I would have shot it from a lower angle and tried to blur the background more. The objects beyond the boots, as well as the texture of the table top, is distracting to me.

As to a photo telling a story, it is all in the eye (or mind) of the viewer). A cool photo of an old pair of work boots can tell a story of those particular boots, or remind the viewer of a story related their lives. A pait of new workboots can do the same, but in a different way. It is more about evoking emotion.... that is probably a better way of stating it. As photographers, we should be creating a good an image as we possibly can to try and stir those emotions in the viewer. If you think about it, when we try to blur a BG, or get the color just right, or make sure focus is spot on, or aim for a particular contrast in a BW image, we are really just trying to make a bigger impact on the viewer's emotion, aren't we? Just my 2 cents and something to think about. :)

Polarizer filter would've helped with the harsh reflections

Most reactions

New Topics

Back