What's new

Boston at night

SquarePeg47 1

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member 📸
Joined
Mar 18, 2013
Messages
16,693
Reaction score
18,300
Location
Boston
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don’t do a lot of night shooting so any suggestions or critique on the shot settings and/or processing is welcome.

I think the focus on these could be sharper. I struggle to manually focus the Samyang 12mm even with close up view and focus peaking. It shows sharp on the screen then not quite as sharp once taken. It was a tiny bit breezy but not enough to cause camera shake and I used a remote release so I think focus was just slightly missed? Same with the 16-80. These are not as sharp as I’d like to see. If I wanted to crop these I’d have issues.

1: 16-80 @16mm, ISO 200, 25 sec, f/16
Fan Pier, Boston by SharonCat..., on Flickr

2: 12mm, ISO 200, 21 sec, f/16
Beautiful Boston from Fan Pier on a chilly night by SharonCat..., on Flickr

3: 16-80 @16mm, ISO 200, 1 sec, f/11
Fan Pier, Boston by SharonCat..., on Flickr

4: 12mm, ISO 200, 24 sec, f/16
Fan Pier, Boston by SharonCat..., on Flickr
 
Last edited:
Nice! I’ve been ask by a group of friends to get out there but Im really not a fan of the city anymoreLoved the night life up there when I was young guess I’m just an old man now
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #5
That first image is a stunner. well done.

Thanks so much!

Very nice set......

Thanks...

Nice! I’ve been ask by a group of friends to get out there but Im really not a fan of the city anymoreLoved the night life up there when I was young guess I’m just an old man now

Thanks. It’s amazing what they’ve done with the whole Seaport area. 10 years ago it was a sketchy grid of parking lots and old warehouses and now it’s all trendy restaurants and bars, shopping, public spaces and the MOCA.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #7
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #9
All nice images but the chain in #1 did it for me.

Yup. The chain draws a lot of photographers to this spot, myself included.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #11
I don't see a sharpness issue until full size on flickr, then I see what you mean. The distant objects, especially. To me it looks a little more like shake than focus. VR was off? The scene itself is a good candidate for focus stacking a couple shots with that chain so close.

Overall its a beautiful shot and the sharpness doesn't come into play at normal viewing.
 
Very nice set. Have you tried the the split screen image while peaking hightlights on? I would, on a scene like this because you can get a zoomed in split window along with the live view to check around the frame for the highlights. I would probably try different peaking colors prior to putting on a tripod. I have read that the OIS of that lens is automatic when placing on a tripod but I would double check to make sure there isn't a menu setting that is preventing that.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #14
I don't see a sharpness issue until full size on flickr, then I see what you mean. The distant objects, especially. To me it looks a little more like shake than focus. VR was off? The scene itself is a good candidate for focus stacking a couple shots with that chain so close.

Overall its a beautiful shot and the sharpness doesn't come into play at normal viewing.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. The Samyang 12mm doesn’t have a button to turn OIS/VR on/off so I’m assuming it doesn’t have any image stabilization. I bought it used so will need to look at that. I have had issues finding infinity focus with this lens before. The Fuji 16-80 has OIS but per Fuji the lens can sense when it is on a tripod and will turn OIS off automatically. It may have been the tripod. Hard to get good stability on the cobblestone walkway.
 
The first one particularly is a lovely shot of the city at night. The thing with wide angle is the distortion; I see some leaning in some. To me it's quite noticeable in the reflection. In the third one the chain appears quite stretched close to the camera. I think the first one is better with less cobblestone (except a nit pick which is the post to the right because it doesn't seem to need to be in the frame).
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom