Botanical Gardens Vancouver

Yvonne_Dubai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay... here goes... please, please, please remember that I'm only a beginning amateur!! Comments welcome though :) I've got lots more pics, but I'm not too embarrassed to post these. Now, I know they're all close ups but because they're of flowers I put them here... tell me if I'm wrong please!

DSC01058-1.jpg

DSC01072-2.jpg

DSC01082-1.jpg

and my absolute favourite

DSC01113-1.jpg

oh... and I have no idea of names of flowers :confused:

V. Nice!

Good work...send in more.

I agree that your personal favourite is the best of the bunch, it's nicely done.

You said that you are new to photography, have you had the chance to read up on composition and that sort of stuff yet? If not, there's a good thread with lots of "intro to photography" links on here....here's the link http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...-forum/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Thanks! I'm reading through as much as I can. Started with learning all the acronyms :) Boy, there is a lot to learn. I'm so excited though lol... I can't wait until July when I get to buy myself a dSLR and do the photography classes. Then in September I'll sign up for more classes when I get back from the summer break.

I'll go and check out that link now, thanks!

Please take my comments as positive CC's as I go through your florals.

Pic 1 & 2: Under exposed. Use spot metering, and then adjust by 1/3 to a 1/2 stop to bring back the whites. Also your compositions has the flower dead center. Off setting them adds interest.

Pic 3: is nicely composed and correctly exposed. If anything I would have cropped it to remove the partial flower on the left, that would have moved the full flower more to the left, and helped to balance out your composition.

Pic 4: Best of your set. Nicely composed and correctly exposed You changed the angle that you photographed your subject, the result is a Bokeh background with some color rather then the grey/blown out skies in your other pictures.

When composing your picture, spend as much time looking at the entire picture, not just the subject. You'll be surprised at what is there, or isn't there. I use a tripod for 99% of my florals no matter what the lighting conditions are. This seems to force me to work slower, resulting in my studying the full frame before I take the picture. I also use a remote shutter release so I don't accidentally shake the camera, and it lets me carefully survey the scene before I take the picture. In florals, I feel that slower is better.

Thanks!! I do take your comments as positive, I appreciate it all. Will work on it :)

Most reactions

Back