Bothwell Castle 3

Btw everything I did was in Lr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, I figured it was similar. I like to think I'm pretty good in Lightroom, but I'm trying to increase my skills in photoshop so trying to learn how to leverage some new techniques which have the potential to give me more options. That's somthing I'll have a look at though, creating one edit in lightroom and another in photoshop to get as close as I can. I think that may be very useful.

If u have both go for it. A lot of PS to me is manipulating images whereas Lr is for editing existing. Not that u can’t do both in either and definitely PS much more powerful in what it can do.

Great photo! Such an interesting subject with so much texture and color variations.

I like the re-edit from Gimme... with the deeper blues but also because it’s a bit darker. Darkening all and then having the castle be just subtly lighter and sharper than the rest would be my preference. The dusky sky doesn’t really seem right with the foreground and castle so bright.

If u have both go for it. A lot of PS to me is manipulating images whereas Lr is for editing existing. Not that u can’t do both in either and definitely PS much more powerful in what it can do.

Yeah, no worries. I appreciate the association, many people do but I'm trying to get to the opposite. Sometimes I find lightroom too heavy handed and I'm looking for techniques that will provide a more natural edit. I just don't quite have the knowhow to get me there....yet!

Great photo! Such an interesting subject with so much texture and color variations.

I like the re-edit from Gimme... with the deeper blues but also because it’s a bit darker. Darkening all and then having the castle be just subtly lighter and sharper than the rest would be my preference. The dusky sky doesn’t really seem right with the foreground and castle so bright.

Thanks Squarepeg! I really appreciate the input. One of the things for me on this one was trying not to push it too far. Due to the sun position, at this time of day there is only reflected light on the castle, so it is naturally darker than the sky as it's backlit. My first edit in photoshop made the castle way too light but in previous versions I'd made in lightroom at the same location and similar composition I felt I'd rendered the castle too dark.

What I wasn't counting on was how the exposure blend would render the tones in the sky and how the photoshop blend works (#transparent pixels ;) ). And how that would look to a viewer. Sometimes blending smushes everything towards grey. It's tough as well as my monitor is punchy, despite calibration so I think I need a new monitor!

I think to get the "ideal" shot I would need to do a time blend to get a bit of natural light on the castle then blend in the sky at dusk. It would make a better shot but in my head I have not made up mind whither that's too much,.... as it would be creating lighting conditions that don't exist. What do you think?

I totally agree on Gimmies edit that the subtlety works

creating lighting conditions that don't exist. What do you think?

My view on that is unless you’re using it in a documentary who cares if the lighting conditions exist? Whatever looks good. I’m all for bending reality as long as it’s not represented as truth. After all, it’s a castle! Add a couple of dragons if you like lol.

My view on that is unless you’re using it in a documentary who cares if the lighting conditions exist? Whatever looks good. I’m all for bending reality as long as it’s not represented as truth. After all, it’s a castle! Add a couple of dragons if you like lol.

Dragons...ok I think I can do that, maybe give me a week or two so I can google dragons and luminocity masking

Answer to the first question is me. I care.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back