Bought a P&S - Am I Just Spoiled? (Lots of photos)

AdamBomb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey All,
I've been shooting with a DSLR for quite a few years now, and I feel that I've gotten quite good at it. Well I decided that I wanted a new Point-and-Shoot for when I didn't feel like toting my gripped D90 around.

After days of research, I decided to pick up the Canon SX210is. I read many reviews saying, "This is the best point-and-shoot on the planet!"

Unfortunately I am very disappointed with the performance of this camera. I shot some stuff around the house where I expected the camera would perform quite well. Lots of blur and noise. I also shot outside and I feel the shots were mediocre.

Now I understand that this is a $240 camera, but I thought I would get a little better performance out of it. I thought about picking up the S95, but it's about $130 more... which is more than I wanted to spend on a P&S. I may consider taking it back and waiting for the Nikon P300 (F1.8 lens!)

Here's some examples straight from the camera... Make em bigger.

5495590600_c4218e17c3_b.jpg

5494998021_2cc1042f6e_b.jpg

Look at the bushes on the left:

5495589878_4c1bb20065_b.jpg

Here's a good one:

5495589480_49a2930081_b.jpg

5495589118_d36433892f_b.jpg

Noise on the hood of my truck:

5495588696_14403f844c_b.jpg

PLENTY of very bright light... dog was pretty still as well. AF was centered on her.

5495588300_40fb8a8d17_b.jpg

5494995611_1c6858c2e8_b.jpg

I have been playing with this thing all afternoon (today is my day off) and cannot produce satisfactory images. What gives? Maybe I have a lemon?

turn it to manual, adjust the ISO shutter aperture.

With a pixel pitch in the less than 2 µm range its no surprise the camera doesn't do any better.

Would you guys happen to have a better "sidekick" camera that you would recommend?

At the top end of the P&S, the big contenders are the Canon S95, Panasonic LX5 and Canon G12. All of them however will probably be more than the typical P&S. My LX3 (previous model to the LX5) is still one of my most enjoyed cameras... sometimes paired with the Panny TZ5

Then..

There are the M43 cameras slotted above them but just below DSLRs in the market place.

Looking at your samples, I see that most have something in common... less than ideal lighting. This is where most P&S do the least quality work. In good lighting (I also use a metz cs-2 with my P&S indoors), some P&S will produce good results. Know the camera's limits and work within.

Last edited:
At the top end of the P&S, the big contenders are the Canon S95, Panasonic LX5 and Canon G12. All of them however will probably be more than the typical P&S. My LX3 (previous model to the LX5) is still one of my most enjoyed cameras... sometimes paired with the Panny TZ5

Then..

There are the M43 cameras slotted above them but just below DSLRs in the market place.

Looking at your samples, I see that most have something in common... less than ideal lighting. This is where most P&S do the least quality work. In good lighting (I also use a metz cs-2 with my P&S indoors), some P&S will produce good results. Know the camera's limits and work within.

Have you had a look into micro 4/3rds? The IQ from an Olympus epl2 isn't very far off your d90, you fan do an ep1 and 17mm pancake and have something very small.

For example... The TZ5 at full zoom

P1010633 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

or the LX3

P1020089 by usayit_2000, on Flickr

The LX3 is better overall.. but there is a premium to price (premium features). Fast f/2.0 lens helps in low light a few stops but it goes to crap fairly quickly like many others. The fact these two are with me everywhere makes them an important part of my enjoyment of photography.

I'd also stay away from the typical "high-end" compacts. You won't like the IQ that comes out of a Canon S95, or Lumix LX5, either.

Well, I think I'm just expecting too much outta this thing. My mom purchased a new Canon SD1300 ($109) for my grandmother and it I played with it for a little bit, the photos turned out "as nice" as the ones from the SX210, so that will be going back... and I'm probably just going to pick up a cheaper P&S.

There were so many raves about how good the s90 are, and my friend got one but she wasn't happy with the results and ended buying a D3100. The s90 made street lights yellowish green no matter what white balance, while my D5000 produced orange-ish colors

Most reactions

New Topics

Back