Boylesque Dancer Isaiah

Wow, thank you! These are all really great pointers.

If I can ask, how would you do the black and white processing?

Well, my default processing involves giant pools of inky blackness, a habit I am trying to break myself of ;)

I generally do like the blacks to be darker, even when I am restraining myself.

For these I would go higher contrast, to counterpoint the drama of the man. I might actually got with somewhat selective processing, because I *do* like the sort of grey midtones of the background, I like the idea of this dude inside that banal, tired, last-century, conservative space. This might be a be excessive, but maybe something like this:

View attachment 46815

I left the contrast/tone curve alone on the background and just darkened the whole thing, and gave him a much punchier contrast curve. He probably looks a bit "composited in" here, which means I took it too far. But, it's a concept, anyways.

You could get much the same effect in-camera by hitting him with a strobe, and letting the background go with ambient light.

I really like where this is going. And I think I'll try using my speedlite soon to experiment with black and white with strobes. I just really like natural light and try to avoid using my speedlite unless I absolutely have to. Sometimes the artificial light just goes with the mood though.

Properly done.. you usually can't tell that "Artificial?" lighting was used! (those fake photons are a pain, aren't they!)

Well, my default processing involves giant pools of inky blackness, a habit I am trying to break myself of ;)

I generally do like the blacks to be darker, even when I am restraining myself.

For these I would go higher contrast, to counterpoint the drama of the man. I might actually got with somewhat selective processing, because I *do* like the sort of grey midtones of the background, I like the idea of this dude inside that banal, tired, last-century, conservative space. This might be a be excessive, but maybe something like this:

View attachment 46815

I left the contrast/tone curve alone on the background and just darkened the whole thing, and gave him a much punchier contrast curve. He probably looks a bit "composited in" here, which means I took it too far. But, it's a concept, anyways.

You could get much the same effect in-camera by hitting him with a strobe, and letting the background go with ambient light.

I really like where this is going. And I think I'll try using my speedlite soon to experiment with black and white with strobes. I just really like natural light and try to avoid using my speedlite unless I absolutely have to. Sometimes the artificial light just goes with the mood though.

Properly done.. you usually can't tell that "Artificial?" lighting was used! (those fake photons are a pain, aren't they!)
I know, I'm just very partial to natural light. If I have to use strobe though, I think I can do it well. I used to use nothing but strobe in every situation, then I had all of my gear stolen and had to start over. Thats how I fell in love with natural light.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back