Brand new D3500, used SB-600

Idaho Spud

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a new 3500 for a week; just received an SB-600 from ebay seller. Camera works great. Everything. Put fresh batteries in flash unit, set camera to Program, metering to matrix and no flash when snapping shutter. Flash will fire sometimes, but not always when pressing test button but never when snapping shutter. Like it has a mind of its own. ISO set to 400. Don't know much about digital cameras (film guy) and virtually noting about digital flash. Camera and lens are talking (zoom info and so forth), but no flash. Will probably send this back to ebay seller but thought I'd check with you first. Real digital rookie here, so appreciate any tips before I do so. BTW, pop-up flash works fine.

That should be camera and flash seem to be communicating...

If the flash won't fire every time you press the 'Test' button (when the red 'Ready' light is illuminated), return it. There's no condition under which an SB600 should not fire when it is fully charged and the ready light is on.

I just noticed that when I press the test button and look right into the front of the flash I can see a very weak light, almost imperceptible. Capacitor issue mebbee? Gonna send it back. Thanks for the help.

I just noticed that when I press the test button and look right into the front of the flash I can see a very weak light, almost imperceptible. Capacitor issue mebbee? Gonna send it back. Thanks for the help.
Capacitor or flash tube issues, either way, it's a return.

Thanks again for the time pard.

Most reactions

Back