Brand new to the forum

Wolfgang8810

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys and gals my name is Mark and I stumbled across this forum earlier and liked what i saw. I only have one camera a Nikon D40X and two lenses: an Nikon 18-55 and a Nikon 55-200 VR lens. Im pretty new to photography but here are some of my pictures. Comments and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism welcome. Enjoy.

DSC_0031-2.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

Welcome to TPF! Nice shots...my fave is the third one - love the moss covered carved stone.

[By the way, it makes it easier to view and respond to the pics if you leave one or two lines between them, and number them if there are 4 or more] :D

Welcome! I like the 2nd and 3rd. Neat shots. Keep on posting!

Thank you. I love poker and cigars so it was a good picture to describe me with. The 3rd picture was taken at the local botanical gardens.

#4 is nice and vibrant, nice. Although the red is overblown a bit. I'd like to know where you found that carving in #3, why can't I live in a place that has that kind of stuff?

I don't like #5, because it's a picture of nothing, really. There's no subject and no depth. It's just a mishmash of foliage and uniform lighting.

In terms of colour coordination, #2 needs some balance. Nearly everything in the picture is of the same colour. You need another, different colour in there to anchor it all, because right now it looks like your white balance was off, even though it probably wasn't. Nice idea for props though.

In #1, that shot would be cooler if the flash was off-camera, but I know that's expensive to do.

Cool shots though man, keep shooting!

#4 is nice and vibrant, nice. Although the red is overblown a bit. I'd like to know where you found that carving in #3, why can't I live in a place that has that kind of stuff?

I don't like #5, because it's a picture of nothing, really. There's no subject and no depth. It's just a mishmash of foliage and uniform lighting.

In terms of colour coordination, #2 needs some balance. Nearly everything in the picture is of the same colour. You need another, different colour in there to anchor it all, because right now it looks like your white balance was off, even though it probably wasn't. Nice idea for props though.

In #1, that shot would be cooler if the flash was off-camera, but I know that's expensive to do.

thanks for that comments. :)

Cool shots though man, keep shooting!
The carving was at Marie Selby botanical gardens in Sarasota Fl.

I agree with you on #5

#2 the WB was off and i corrected it post production but i dont have a copy of that on this computer. But you are right with the other bold color to bring it together. Ill have to try that.

#1 it would have looked cool but im on a students budget. What would you suggest for an off camera remote flash that is on the cheaper side. < $100

thanks for the comments though ill try for some more.

You could consider getting a cheap slave flash. I've heard them going for $10-$40 used. All you'd do then is set your onboard flash to its lowest setting and it would still trigger the slave, but not light your subject too much, just act as a fill light. Light your scenes from anywhere but on the camera - the further the light source is from the lens, the better the photo. (Usually, not always)

Any link where i could read up on this? to purchase

Er, yeah. That looks good, although I don't know why it says it's only for Nikon cameras, any slave can work with any camera in history...

Or not?

Since this is a thread that showcases photos, I shall move it to the General Gallery.

Hey, and welcome to ThePhotoForum, Mark (why "Wolfgang" as your screenname, I wonder?)

i really dont understand what it is really. will it be able to flash even when it isnt on the camera?so i could set it up to the side and get shadows that way? sorry but i relay am a noob

Since this is a thread that showcases photos, I shall move it to the General Gallery.

Hey, and welcome to ThePhotoForum, Mark (why "Wolfgang" as your screenname, I wonder?)
An old nickname from highschool. and i like wolves

Most reactions

Back